Intermittent Odometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That made me laugh about the rubber hammer. You still had 3 different weights of steel hammers to go. You'd think a soldered joint should last the life of an appliance, or in this case speedo. But alas were not living in the 60's or 70's anymore, where Fords motto about quality being job one. I used to love the Ford twin I beam commercials that showed an F100 pickup bouncing between light bulbs, and none broke with sticks mounted on the fenders. Wonder if that speedo worked after that stunt.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
....You'd think a soldered joint should last the life of an appliance, or in this case speedo. But alas were not living in the 60's or 70's anymore, ...
That "pin soldered into a through hole of a pc board", with a cold solder joint failure really is 60's technology OR earlier. Luckily that whole pc board has been shrunk down to an single chip or less or a newer vehicle. I used to work on computers where the Ethernet interface was a 2 board (Versabus) set. Nowdays ... one tiny chip and it does whole lot more!

StarWatcher

Reaction score
My 2000 Expedition odometer display got so bad it was off far more than it was on. There are several YouTube videos that cover the repair. One Saturday morning I parked the Expedition in the garage. I put a box fan behind the front seats blowing forward and set up my iPad in the front passenger seat on the YouTube video I liked best. Had lots of cold drinks handy. Took my time and did the repair. Didn’t have any dash rattles once I was finished. Patted myself on the back and enjoyed the rest of Saturday.

pdqcarrera

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anybody received a quote from a shop to perform the fix? I'd be curious what hours they'd estimate/bid. Our 2000 Eddie Bauer odometer finally quit 100%. My DIY days are dwindling and I've never liked under/behind dash work.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can get to everything from above while sitting normally in the driver seat.

StarWatcher

Reaction score
Has anybody received a quote from a shop to perform the fix? I'd be curious what hours they'd estimate/bid. Our 2000 Eddie Bauer odometer finally quit 100%. My DIY days are dwindling and I've never liked under/behind dash work.

I asked a shop what the repair would be several years ago. They have to replace the whole instrument cluster. They told me the part alone was over $700. I don’t know whether you can find a shop that would disassemble the dash and just do the soldering. Would require several hours of labor. I think I did the total repair in about 3 hours. I took my time and checked the video, etc. - certainly much slower than a pro could do it.

It’s not a difficult job to do. No under dash is required. You can do everything but the soldering from the comfort of the drivers seat. I did the soldering on a table. Keep the video handy and take your time. Just be sure to organize the parts as you remove them so you know what does back where. Be careful with soldering. It takes just a touch. You don’t want to overheat components.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's about 2-3 hours total. Problem is like starwatcher stated, most shops want to R&R complete cluster, they don't want your vehicle sitting while sending out for resolder. And resoldering there, would take a understanding owner unless they've done it before. Most shops these days want in/out. Do your homework, find one that will. Maybe an electrical repair, like computer, or TV/stereo could handle the solder part. Anything can be negotiated!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

ACEXPY

Reaction score
Mine does it too. Living with it but if it stops coming on entirely then guess I'll have to fix it. Can't afford that type of shop bill but not comfortable taking dash apart either. Ugh.

poorboy1964

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is pretty easy to take out I did mine Sat. and it was out in 15-20 minutes it was so easy i did the overhead display right after it

ACEXPY

Reaction score
Yeah my overhead display been out since I got the truck. If I fix the odometer then I will have the confidence to try to do overhead also.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gnorman