Intermittent wipers working weirdly.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason Mankey

Reaction score
My 2010 has a weird issue. My Intermittent wipers work ramdomly.

My low constant and high constant wiper work perfectly. But on intermittent speed its all messed up. There are 5 intermittent speeds according to the turn signal lever. The top 2 intermittent speed run the wipers in slow constant speed. The lower or longer 3 speeds act the same........ramdom wipes at who knows when.

I am assuming my motor and linkage are not to blame since it runs fine in slow constant and fast constant.

Back in high school (many moons ago) I had a car that had a specific intermittent relay and it needed changed. Looks like this has a single relay for all speeds.

Is this what a bad relay does? Do I need to look at replacing that turn signal switch? Is there anything else that would cause these symptoms?

iimagine

2016 EL XLT
Reaction score
More than likely it's the switch. The intermittent part of the switch has a tendency to go bad the older it is.
iimagine

Plati

Reaction score
Are those rain sensing wipers?

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't believe so. How do I tell?
There'd be a black box to the right of the mirror mount on the windshield. I have them in mine and they drove me bonkers.

If you do see that little box mounted to the windshield, pop off the cover and unplug the wire running to it. That causes the intermittent wiper setting to act like a traditional intermittent wiper switch instead of a sensitivity switch for the rain sensor.

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know Ford used to make the intermittent speeds change based on vehicle speed. Honestly not sure if this is something the Expedition has though.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There'd be a black box to the right of the mirror mount on the windshield. I have them in mine and they drove me bonkers.

If you do see that little box mounted to the windshield, pop off the cover and unplug the wire running to it. That causes the intermittent wiper setting to act like a traditional intermittent wiper switch instead of a sensitivity switch for the rain sensor.

Or - much easier; Use the DIC controls to turn off the RainSense feature.

I have the feature on my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 and hate it. I turned it off, but did not unplug anything.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Or - much easier; Use the DIC controls to turn off the RainSense feature.

I have the feature on my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 and hate it. I turned it off, but did not unplug anything.
The option to turn it off doesn't exist in the earlier models. It has to be unplugged.

OP
OP
Jason Mankey

Jason Mankey

Reaction score

There is a black box to the right of the mirror. It has 2 wires in one plug and I unplugged it. I always assumed it was for the satellite radio. But now that I think about it, the satellite radio is probably the antenna nub on the roof on the front passenger side.

As best as I can tell, windshield looks like it has dots in front of the sensor. After you mentioned these wipers I did some Googling and found that if the windshield was replaced with the wrong part number, there will not be a clear spot for the sensor and the dots will mess it up.

It's not supposed to rain for several days, so I guess we will see what happens the next time it rains.

Plati

Reaction score
Another thing you can do is read the Owners Manual to see how they are sposed to work.

When I got my 2014EL I didn't know about that feature and thought the intermittent feature was broken. Then I found out the rain sensing feature WAS broken and the dealer told me the windshield had been replaced and I paid like $300 to get fixed. Kinda wish I knew about the unplugging work around but I kinda like the feature now so its all good.

Can always pull out the garden hose to test it.