OBD 2 port intermittently working with Scan tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jozef Zoldos

Reaction score
Hello. Looking for some direction. I have a BlueDriver Scan tool that works in my OBD2 port only intermittently in my 2020 Expy. I have tried everything. Works about 50 percent of the time. No rhyme or reason as to what makes it work or not work. I tried the same scan tool in several other vehicles and it works perfectly 100% of the time. Need some guidance on where to start the problem solving dilemma.

Thanks

Last edited:

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seems odd on a new vehicle but I have had issues on older vehicles with the pins being loose or corroded and not making good contact, my 2001 Jeep cherokee being one of these.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello. Looking for some direction. I have a BlueDriver Scan tool that works in my OBD2 port only intermittently in my 2020 Expy. I have tried everything. Works about 50 percent of the time. No rhyme or reason as to what makes it work or not work. I tried the same scan tool in several other vehicles and it works perfectly 100% of the time. Need some guidance on where to start the problem solving dilemma.

Thanks
What isn't working with the scan tool on the 20 Expedition? What other vehicles did you try it on?

OP
OP
Jozef Zoldos

Jozef Zoldos

Reaction score
What isn't working with the scan tool on the 20 Expedition? What other vehicles did you try it on?
Let me explain better. Normally, when you plug the scan tool in, a blue light comes on indicating there is power to the tool. Then you connect to bluetooth on your device and you can scan the engine or analyze certatin data parameters that are monitored. When I plug my scan tool in, sometimes the light comes on and sometimes it doesnt. Seems like it loses power or doesnt get power intermittently. Sometimes, even if the light is on, I cannot connect to bluetooth. I checked with the BlueDriver help line and they told me that my OBD2 port is probably bad. Additionally, everytime I check the power on Pin 16 of my OBD port, I consistently read 12(ish) volts. When it does decide to connect to the vehicle, I can do everything as intended. When it doesnt connect, obviously I cannot do anything with the tool. Works about 50% of the time.

Other vehicles that I tested the scan tool in were a 2011 Expedition, a 2017 Mercedes G wagon, and a 2006 Acura. Scan tool worked perfectly in all of these other vehicles without a glitch.

Attachments

• OBD2 port.png
    OBD2 port.png
    217.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
OP
OP
Jozef Zoldos

Jozef Zoldos

Reaction score
Perhaps its battery is going to be dead. I highly doubt it is a tool or vehicle problem.
The scan tool that I have does not have a battery. It is made by BlueDriver and I am sure it gets its power from the OBD port. After you plug the device in, it is supposed to get power from the vehicle and then you can use bluetooth to connect to a phone or other device, open up an app and can scan the vehicle or do live monitoring of certain data parameters that are supported by the software. I have tried the scan tool on several other vehicles and it works perfectly well as intended without a glitch.

OP
OP
Jozef Zoldos

Jozef Zoldos

Reaction score
Seems odd on a new vehicle but I have had issues on older vehicles with the pins being loose or corroded and not making good contact, my 2001 Jeep cherokee being one of these.
How did you fix the problem on your old Jeep?

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The scan tool that I have does not have a battery. It is made by BlueDriver and I am sure it gets its power from the OBD port. After you plug the device in, it is supposed to get power from the vehicle and then you can use bluetooth to connect to a phone or other device, open up an app and can scan the vehicle or do live monitoring of certain data parameters that are supported by the software. I have tried the scan tool on several other vehicles and it works perfectly well as intended without a glitch.
I mean your vehicle battery may be bad.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let me explain better. Normally, when you plug the scan tool in, a blue light comes on indicating there is power to the tool. Then you connect to bluetooth on your device and you can scan the engine or analyze certatin data parameters that are monitored. When I plug my scan tool in, sometimes the light comes on and sometimes it doesnt. Seems like it loses power or doesnt get power intermittently. Sometimes, even if the light is on, I cannot connect to bluetooth. I checked with the BlueDriver help line and they told me that my OBD2 port is probably bad. Additionally, everytime I check the power on Pin 16 of my OBD port, I consistently read 12(ish) volts. When it does decide to connect to the vehicle, I can do everything as intended. When it doesnt connect, obviously I cannot do anything with the tool. Works about 50% of the time.

Other vehicles that I tested the scan tool in were a 2011 Expedition, a 2017 Mercedes G wagon, and a 2006 Acura. Scan tool worked perfectly in all of these other vehicles without a glitch.
Have you checked for power at that pin when it doesn't work?

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If its one of those wireless scanners then maybe its the scanner connectivity itself? I only use wired scanners because ive had issues connecting with the wirless ones