Is 15.8 MPG about right?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know I'm pushing the "Annoying New Member" envelope with all of my inane questions, so I apologize in advance. I promise I will let up here shortly once I do a thorough shake out and get a few issues resolved.

As you may know from my other recent posts, I've recently purchased an '04 5.4, and one of the issues I have right off the bat is fouled up front brakes. I'm in the midst of throwing parts at that problem to try to fix it. In the mean time, I took the truck on a 250 mile road trip last Sunday, and according to the odometer reading, the highest average MPG is 15.8. I don't have a heavy foot, don't accelerate hard (in fact, kind of baby a vehicle). Average speed was probably 65 MPH. 15.8 MPG was the highest the display hit. Is this typical for this year, motor, etc? I'm trying to gauge whether or not the slightly sticky brakes are robbing mpg and/or if any other issues exist (clogged cats, etc). I tried a search for "mpg", but it must be too few characters, and I couldn't find anything. Nothing in the stickies either.

Let me know if this highway mpg is low and I need to find a contributing issue! Thanks!

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I usually average 13.9 with my Gen 3 expedition, so i think you are doing very well to get 15.8!! There is not much wrong with your engine or you have a very light foot!! :)

Gary

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I usually average 13.9 with my Gen 3 expedition, so i think you are doing very well to get 15.8!! There is not much wrong with your engine or you have a very light foot!! :)

Gary

The techs at the dealership told me 13s is what they usually see on the 3rd gens when they come in for service. I was running 15.8/15.9 (and am atm also) and he told me that was excellent. Eek! That helped me go in with low expectations from the start.

DanTheMan97

Reaction score
I wish I got that good of gas mileage in mine, to be fair though I do a lot of towing though. I've gotten anywhere from about 8mpg up to maybe 13 at best. Definitely not the most fuel efficient vehicles around

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm at 13.1 when 100% in town driving, but i used to get mid 14's before my fuel pump regulator decided 89 psi was just fine.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your getting anything over 1 MPG your good, get a nice cruiser (boat) with twins. Now we are talking gallons per mile!!!!!!

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I wish I got that good of gas mileage in mine, to be fair though I do a lot of towing though. I've gotten anywhere from about 8mpg up to maybe 13 at best. Definitely not the most fuel efficient vehicles around

I'm sure a Prius can tow something... you sound like a person who should be driving a Prius or a Chevy....

BillAlex

Reaction score
I have two Gen Two's both 2005 and both two wheel drive. I have noticed that when I am at highway cruising speed I set the Cruise Control and I run right at 17 MPG. When I leave the Highway, it drops of course. 14 or 15 not unusual for city traffic. Also, I have over 215,000 miles on my main driver (I am rebuilding and restoring the latest one) and I bought it new. I used Mobil 1 Synthetic from the day I drained the break in oil to currently. I have been known to drain the oil at 3,000 miles and dump what appears to be Cyrstal clear brand new oil. I am a believer that these engines (5.4L 3V) are meant to go 300,000 miles and then some if taken care of. If you walk away with one thing, remember this. Change the Oil Religiously and you will be rewarded with longevity and great gas mileage.