Is buying a CPO good idea?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brent Harward

Reaction score
Certified Pre Owned warranties are a good idea. You pay a little more up front to have the vehicle inspected and certified. If you don't buy CPO on a used car it's good to realize you'll probably need brakes and shocks for starters. And CPO's are normally covered by the store selling the vehicle. I've heard CarMas does a good inspection. But no experience there. No car savvy? Buy CPO! Wrench head? ~ take your chances and R&R on your own.

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Or do both. Buy CPO as you know the car was treated well and buy an extended warranty. If the CPO price is similar to non CPO then do it.
I’d definitely do a CPO if it was the same price as non. However , IMO, I’d save the extra 1-2k the ford dealers charge to CPO and buy a car from a ford dealer with the money towards an ESP program that is much more comprehensive for a similar upcharge.
I went thru vehicles at ford dealers that just arrived, they walked thru the price increase to CPO, and I requested them to not CPO so I can add warranty. Major Ford dealers still do an inspection check on any inbound vehicle, especially under warranty, but I agree it’s not to a CPO level.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Or do both. Buy CPO as you know the car was treated well and buy an extended warranty. If the CPO price is similar to non CPO then do it.

this.
Don’t even think about any other option.
Find a used one being sold as a CPO.
THEN, add the Ford extended premium warranty onto that.

The CPO gives you peace of mind that it was treated well. But that CPO warranty only lasts a year.
For this vehicle you NEED to add the 6 year 125,000 mile premium warranty.
And since it was a CPO, the dealership will add that premium warranty at a reduced cost. For me, they added that coverage for only $1700.
Chump change considering the $10,000 plus repairs it’s incurred in the year I’ve owned it.
Do it, or you’ll regret it.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can’t imagine spending large sums of money on a used car and NOT getting an extended warranty. To me personally, that would be like not insuring your house, it’s a not an option.

Consumer Reports has Ford ranked near the bottom right now for reliability (mainly due to the Explorer) so if anyone here is thinking they don’t need an extended warranty then buy a Mazda or Toyota.

Does anyone still actually need convincing? Haha

Back to CPO. Great idea but don’t overpay. I feel like most are priced a little bit higher than they should. Wait for a good CPO deal.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1FTEW1EG2FFB28262 Do a Google search on this VIN for a story about a CPO nightmare...also documented in a lengthy thread on FTE (Ford Truck Enthusiasts).
Always remember Caveat Emptor (buyer beware).