Is it just me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John W

Reaction score
2021 Model, I keep setting the auto running boards to "OUT". But for some reason, the next time I get in and use the vehicle, do errands and get out. The damn boards retract.
Anyone else having the same issue?

caplanm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe that they return back to 'auto', once you drive the vehicle over 12 mph. My 2018 Platinum acts the same way.

OP
OP
John W

John W

Reaction score
That doesn't seem to be good to me. I want to leave them out during the winter (the first year owned). Last ice storm we had the boards were covered in ice when I opened the door to get in. Not good!
If they had been out it would have been easier to clear the ice off.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That doesn't seem to be good to me. I want to leave them out during the winter (the first year owned). Last ice storm we had the boards were covered in ice when I opened the door to get in. Not good!
If they had been out it would have been easier to clear the ice off.

If you leave them out, it's very likely they'll get wrecked. They hang lower and extend further than most fixed running boards. If you really want to do it though, deploy them and then unplug them. Connector is easier to reach.

OP
OP
John W

John W

Reaction score
I only want them out when icing is expected. Not having them out all the time.

RedneckTexan

Reaction score
We had a 2013 Expy EL and the running boards failed after 75k miles. They just lost power over time. This time I ordered a 22 without them due to the frustration and cost associated with their repair.

Mlarv

Reaction score
I have the power running boards on my Expy also had them on my F150. In the winter I would leave them up when it was supposed to be freezing or most of the time in Cleveland OH. After three years on the F150 in OH we never had an issue with them. I would drop them and clean them really well when every the weather would allow during the winter. I would not leave them out no matter what. They will catch to much road slush snow ice etc in the motor and mounting points. My wife drives the Expy and if it looks like it will be freezing here in TN she shuts them off.

2020ExpyPlatinum

Reaction score
I found the weathertech mud flaps work well at preventing ice from accumulating on them. Only problem I found is when I removed the rear mud flaps on the 2020 my wife had when trading in to the 2021 I noticed the rear flaps rubbed on the rear bumper cover and wore down the paint. The front flaps caused no damage.

The power running boards do not stay out unless you unplug them and I would highly advise against that. I would turn them off completely v.s. trying to get them to stay out.