Is it worth downsizing the wheels and tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To the OP - I have the 22" rims and got 50K out of the stock Pirellis. Could have gone another 10K but winter was coming. Replaced those with Michelins and the ride got even better. I also have the CCD suspension. Had a "regular" Expy as a loaner and it rode like mine when I switch to comfort. A bit too spongy/wallowy for my taste. The 22's and suspension set to Normal is just right. And yes, I tow a 6500 lb trailer. All works great. I think you'll be fine looking for a better quality tire. The Michelins ride very quiet and soak up the expansion joints and normal road crap way better than the Pirellis.

If you are doing any light off-roading or live on a gravel road, then you have to make different decisions. Good luck!!

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Only if you sell yours for good money.
18s are a great way to go as plenty of long lasting tires available and cheaper.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A Rolls-Royce Cullinan only offers 22s. The Bentley Bentayga has multiple wheel options, the smallest being 21x10. They must ride like complete shit, right? I'm certain no owners have ever installed some 14's, let alone used 14's from Craigslist, to get a better ride...

My 2008 came with 20's, I've had 21's, another set of 20's, and 22's on it since. I'm the original owner & ZERO suspension components are worn or have needed to be replaced. Its 100% stock suspension wise and absolutely rides like new. Towed our boat for the last time this season a few weeks ago without any issue, thankfully the rear air suspension breathed in fresh air to level it up. The old men here would be happy to know the boat trailer rocks 15's, albeit in a Chevy bolt pattern...

My chromed Harley Davidson / Lariat Limited F150 wheels with 305-40-22 tires that @JExpedition07 referred to.

You can see plenty of sidewall even without the bifocals you refuse to wear:

IMG-1450.jpg

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't guess there is too much difference from 18s but 22s can get really thin.

20191206_165107.jpg

Icemanjones

Reaction score
I guess I never liked the fact that the less tire you get the more it costs. A 22" wheel costs more for a tire than an 18" wheel. You already pay more for the wheel but at least its REALLY more wheel. Smaller wheels are also protected a little better against damage with more sidewall bulge. But hey, free country. If you want more wheel to clean have at it.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I never liked the fact that the less tire you get the more it costs. A 22" wheel costs more for a tire than an 18" wheel. You already pay more for the wheel but at least its REALLY more wheel. Smaller wheels are also protected a little better against damage with more sidewall bulge. But hey, free country. If you want more wheel to clean have at it.

My 18” Eddie Bauer fork rims are the hardest rims I’ve ever owned to clean with all the crevices. I like them overall though. The only Expedition rim that’s worse to clean is the 2010-14 Limited wine bottle 20s. Although they look great. I guarantee his 22s are faster to clean than my 18s lol.
A05DAAA0-82D5-424B-89B9-925AF4873A7F.jpeg
0958BAC8-43D5-48BF-9C81-5FDB07524391.jpeg

Last edited:

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"Dem rimmz iz respekt, yo!" - anonymous L.A. gangsta

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

StodgyBarley

Reaction score
Wow! Great feedback everyone! Thank you so much! I already love the comfort of my Expedition but am really curious now how much more comfortable it would be with 20s or 18s on it instead of the current 22s. I've been looking online and lots of people selling their F150 18 inch rims and tires which might be my long term plan. Great point about the extra pressure put on the suspension too with the 22s.