Is synthetic oil required??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then you are doing nothing but wasting money.
Conventional and Ford Motorcraft Synthitc Blend would not be close to broken down at 5k under normal driving conditions.
No reason for synthetic under normal driving conditions and a change interval of 5k or less.

Synthetic certainly has it’s place but not these circumstances.
Many Toyota motors call for Ow20 synthetic. Only time I have ever used synthetic but I also change at 5k, 3k, and 6 months dependent upon which of my vehicles.
No way are you wasting money doing 5k changes on 5.4L or 3.5, well unless you don’t keep the truck. Doing 10k changes shaves life off of the motor, the dirt in the oil increases wear oil breaking down or not. If you bought two trucks and changed one every 5k and one every 10k I gaurentee one will last a whole lot longer than the other. I do mine every 3,000 miles motorcraft synthetic blend.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was planning to do conventional oil changing every 5k, like all my other vehicles for last 15 years. Never had any issues.

+1. I've been doing that for 23 years and never had an engine problem that could even potentially be blamed on oil. Heck, my last 2 vehicles had 235k and 350k on their respective clocks and were still running strong when I sold them. My wife's car has 201K atm w/ the same strategy.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gents, It is never bad to use clean, fresh oil, never......but as we see a thousand times in these threads.....mechanically, the issue isn't whether the oil has broken down even though syn's are much better at resisting this, but the small capacity of the mini-filter. Pull one with 6k run through it and compare it to one new but equally filled with oil. Its kind of like the old drug commercial with the egg in the frying pan.....once you hold both filters, it'll be pretty plain.

I'm a firm believer in everyone caring for their own as they choose....do what you are comfortable with.......

jeff

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It the words of Forest, stupid is as stupid does! If you hear year after year that clean oil is better than dirty, and its cheap too, why would you push it. Some people just make too much money I guess. Back in the 80's they blew it on cocaine, nowadays its motor's!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah seems like everyone knows more than the engineers, and designers. I remember back in the 70's my older brother swore by Pennzoil, but I liked Castrol. Sort of like the Coke/Pepsi debate, you like what you like!

Plati

Reaction score
I think the scheduled maintenance on Ford Expeditions should include changing the lug nuts every 6000 miles, unless you buy upgraded nuts:33:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If an oil change every 5000 miles is better than every 10000 miles, wouldn't every 1500 miles be even better?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What would probably make more sense is adding a second filter, but mount it the same angle as stock, 90 degrees. Problem there would be though, is the stock oil pump enough to overcome the extra hoses and filter. Another simple idea would be to change the oil filter at 2500 to 3,000miles with a fresh clean one, add back the 1/2 quart of oil. A clean new filter should help a little, and only costs $5.00 extra. Then do the regular interval oil/filter swap out. That extra filter change should safely extend oil change out to 7-71/2 k.
Does anybody do this.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Just this morning reading this I was shocked (shocked, I tell you) to find that an oil filter will weigh more filled with dirty engine oil and and some dirt than a new filter filled with new, clean oil! Not sure what that proves other than the filter is doing what filters do.

Since full synthetic oil wears even longer than the 10K miles in the Ford schedule a filter change at whatever-K miles makes sense. Would be nice it if was on top of the engine like my wife's 3.6R Legacy Subaru -- this is now the Big Engine car in our family.

But any oil comparison to the Coke vs Pepsi "debate" is spurious. Coke is superior of course. The argument is moot.

-- Chuck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360