Issue With Five Star 91 Performance Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2015owner2015

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I applied the Five Star 91 Octane Performance tune several weeks ago to my 2015 Expedition. I started running into an issue where under hard acceleration the engine light would light up and the truck seemed to run in a crippled mode. After just a couple minutes or so the light goes off and performance went back to normal.

This has happened a couple times.

I reverted back to factory and the issue does not recur.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I applied the Five Star 91 Octane Performance tune several weeks ago to my 2015 Expedition. I started running into an issue where under hard acceleration the engine light would light up and the truck seemed to run in a crippled mode. After just a couple minutes or so the light goes off and performance went back to normal.

This has happened a couple times.

I reverted back to factory and the issue does not recur.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks
I have experienced this maybe once or twice in the nearly two years and 40K miles I’ve had my 93-performance tune. It seems to occur for me only when being driven like a hybrid under humid conditions, and then squeeze the throttle but don’t give it full throttle.

If it’s a frequent occurrence, give them a call and explain what’s happening. My experiences with their customer service have been very positive. They can change parameters and likely resolve it easily.

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles are on the spark plugs? These things really eat up spark plugs, and with a tune you're going to have higher boost pressure which could cause issues if you have really wide plug gaps.

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@MidwestBoater does make a valid point. Generally, 50K is considered the limit on a tuned vehicle for factory plugs. I never noticed a decrease in performance in mine, rather a rough idle, and ended up changing mine at 55K.
Recommendation for a tuned truck is .028-.030; and all the SP534 plugs I bought were set at .030 from the factory so I left them. My original plugs had a .032-.033 gap when I pulled them. Which is still well within factory spec for a stock EcoBoost. My current ones will stay until my idle gets rough again. Probably another 29-30K miles from now.

How frequently was the problem occurring? Have you datalogged what the boost level is reaching under acceleration?

OP
OP
2015owner2015

2015owner2015

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hint tried logging. But I try it.

I could basically reproduce the issue at will by using full acceleration on a slight incline. Also the engine would also skip some at full acceleration prior to the engine light activating.

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I won't tell you guys that you should or shouldn't open or close your gaps for higher boost pressures but I drive a factory boosted bike modded to double the stock boost and closer gaps (.25 on old style plgs)) give me much better WFO running. Mid is correct, higher boost means more difficult ignition and if anything is already shaky....well, there you go!

jeff

Kwik SC

Reaction score
Thats probably your problem. Boost eats plugs. Bottom line. You should factor in a new set of plugs every 20k or so miles IMO

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

limitedex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did when I was tuned and never resolved my spark blowout issue. I'm not saying it's 5 Stars fault though. I'm on stock tune running fine now.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Sounds like they should change the name to 3-Star.