Issues removing license plate bulb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Macky

Reaction score
Hi guys,

A bit embarassing to start off with a seemingly rookie problem, but for the life of me I cannot seem to remove the license plate lights on my 2018 Expedition Limited.

I can see the tab to push in. Its almost identical to my previous 2012 Explorer. But I cant seem to wiggle it out to swap out the bulbs.

Is there any special trick or tool to use? Im almost thinking of removing the 4 bolts that hold the trim in place to see if i can access it from there.

Any advice or recommendations?

Thanks in advance

benyl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Both tabs at the same time with two flat drivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You remove both at the same time?
Need to pop one side and then carefully pop the other while the other side is still out. Both need to be out at the same time yes. Two screw drivers and get comfortable being ambidextrous

OP
OP
M

Macky

Reaction score
So hold the tabs in for both and then pull? Gonna need an extra set of hands for this.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have done this on both our Expedition and Explorer. They housings are the same. You push in the tab nearest to the license plate on both sides. The other side will the come out once the tab is released. Youtube has tons of videos on how to do it.

Good luck.

jking05

Reaction score
Was looking into swapping out my bulbs also. Any chance you know what size the replacement ones should be?

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was looking into swapping out my bulbs also. Any chance you know what size the replacement ones should be?
The size is printed on the front of the headlight housing just below where the bulbs sit

OP
OP
M

Macky

Reaction score
I have done this on both our Expedition and Explorer. They housings are the same. You push in the tab nearest to the license plate on both sides. The other side will the come out once the tab is released. Youtube has tons of videos on how to do it.

Good luck.

I tried it a few times today with no luck. Ive replaced the ones on my previous 2012 Explorer with nary a hiccup. This just seems stuck in there.

All the youtube vids show pre-2018 expeditions. Do you have a link to a 2018?

I know this shouldnt be this difficult, but im just afraid id crack the housing as neither seem to want to pop off while holding in the tab.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So hold the tabs in for both and then pull? Gonna need an extra set of hands for this.
Use a flathead screwdriver. Place on tab and twist a little while pushing in on the tab from the center "nearest the license plate". That side will come right out. Then from that end, pull the rest of the housing to the right and down (out).

Maybe post some pics of your housings so we can see what trouble you are having...