Remove Trailer Hitch Cover???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used a plastic trim removal tool (a small plastic pry bar) between the cover and the bumper between the 2 tabs WHILE pulling. It seems to help.

Recently I sprayed a little silicone spray on the tabs and that seems to have helped a lot.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can purchase a trailer hitch trim bezel? I like to keep the trailer hitch attached but, the exposed clip holes are very ugly.
Gonna have to make your own.

Still not sure why this is so difficult? I used to put on and take mine off all the time and don't remember it ever being hard to do. Now, I just don't ever put it back on but there is a bike rack or hitch in it about 9 months of the year.

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can purchase a trailer hitch trim bezel? I like to keep the trailer hitch attached but, the exposed clip holes are very ugly.
They're ridiculously ugly, they ruin the whole look of the rear of the truck. STUPID and unnecessary design choice.

bjanfish

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. We thought about purchasing a new cover and have someone to cut into the cover so the hitch and light connections are exposed. Does anyone have an idea how to cut the cover?

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
TBH, the best way for me to get this cover off is to lie on my back under the truck, insert a flat screwdriver blade at the inside edge of the two locking tabs, and pry gently.

No combination of pulling/lifting the cover works without this.

If anyone knows of a good mechanical engineer who has designed an easily workable replacement, please LMK and I'll buy it :)
Thanks for your notes. I pushed the two buttons under the cover upward direction by my hands and then barely took the cover off. It shouldn't be designed to be that hard.

hendricksen11

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. We thought about purchasing a new cover and have someone to cut into the cover so the hitch and light connections are exposed. Does anyone have an idea how to cut the cover?
I thought of this too, if I could get a replacement factory paint matched I'd give it a go..

ccssid

Reaction score
I have been taking off the hitch cover on a 2018 explorer for years....just pulled up and out and j*rked it off. The first time on 2021 expedition....pulled up and j*rked it off....although I had to put much more muscle into it. Replacing..just snapped back into place once lining the tabs up

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is always a pain to get off. I just look at the bright side. It’s not going to fall off on its own.

lkTN

Reaction score
I was having tons of trouble with the "Idiotic Design" too. I opted for a non-marring trim tool to assist when pressing on the designated places. It gets a little easier each time I do it now . .