Remove Trailer Hitch Cover???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CharPatton

Reaction score
Any advice as to how to remove the plastic trailer hitch cover?

Likely my incompetence, but I'm afraid I'm gonna remove the entire plastic bumper rather than just the much smaller hitch cover the way that it is bending when I torque it.

I read the manual. I pulled upward and outward from the bottom of the cover. There is a finger grip recess so I know I was in the right place. I pulled super hard until the entire rear bumper cover started to flex outward.

Is there a trick?

Thanks!

2023 Timberline

PS Just sayin', but the mechanism seems very poorly engineered for a $90k truck :(

Last edited:

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're doing it correctly. Once the bottom tabs come loose the upper tabs will release as well. You're not going to pull the entire bumper cover off. Lucky for you that you do not have the kick-to-open lift gate because mine will open or close on me when I'm working with that cover...but rarely when I kick my foot underneath the hitch like it's designed to work.

Wayfun

Reaction score
I took my cover off for the first time a couple of days ago. What a PIA. There are a couple of tabs on the cover that engage on the bottom. I found it helped to deflect those tabs as I pulled on the cover. You need 3 hands.

OP
OP
C

CharPatton

Reaction score
Many thanks to all for commenting!

Here's a Ford video describing the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83YuRtOT7_Q

For me the key was pushing up on these two tabs (added yellow arrows) before trying the removal:

Screenshot 2023-07-17 at 10.33.58.jpg

I liked the comment that read: "The Expedition trailer hitch cover was awarded the 'Excellence in Idiotic Product Design Award.'" :)

OP
OP
C

CharPatton

Reaction score
TBH, the best way for me to get this cover off is to lie on my back under the truck, insert a flat screwdriver blade at the inside edge of the two locking tabs, and pry gently.

No combination of pulling/lifting the cover works without this.

If anyone knows of a good mechanical engineer who has designed an easily workable replacement, please LMK and I'll buy it :)

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member