Jack and Tools What are these and what am I missing? 2013 Expy XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I will probably end up getting that as well. I liked the jack storage, tool stowage in my 2001 much better. I was hoping to find details in the owners manual or quick guide. Not even an Ikea like instruction sheet.
Earlier Expys had a much better vertical jack as well. After changing my first tire in the 2011, I went out and purchased a small hydraulic jack as well as all other tire changing, plugging and inflating items I could need and have a bin in each of our SUVs containing all these items as well as Jumper cables, oil, a spare set of wipers and some other possibly needed items. The bin takes up a fair amount of space, but we rarely use the 3rd row seats, and if we do need the seats or space, it is only locally and we just remove the bin.20231228_140135.jpg

20231228_140037.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JamaicaJoe

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK I am really back where I started. I have the plastic
Well I did it. Now own a second Expy. Just brought home a 2013 and in the Jack compartment there are lots of bits and pieces laying loosely about. The first are the triangular pieces of steel on the upper left with some sort of forked edge. These seem to not belong at all. Look like something to wedge a spare? What are the for exactly?
View attachment 79566
Then there is the jack kit and what appears to be a pair of lug wrenches. ???

Finally there is a bag with some squarish tubing inside, not a clue.

I don't have an operators manual and the download version has little detail. I would like to make sure the kit is complete before I go about town. Also it seems I might be missing some plastic frame (bag?) that organizes all these bits.
OK I am really back where I started. I have the plastic organizer and the jack and wheel chocks fit and make sense. None of the rest makes any sense to me at all. I have two lug wrenches and various other bits for the jack (see my first post) and none of them snap into the organizer in any way. They are either too fat to go into the tangs and holes or too short or too long to span the length of the organizer I bought on e-bay:

It would be a great help if someone could send me a photo of their organizer with all the bits attached. The manual is useless, just generic advice on not getting crushed when using the jack.

OP
OP
JamaicaJoe

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP
OP
JamaicaJoe

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I think I have figured out how the organizer works with the jack, the jack extension, the crank parts. And the lug wrench. I have the wrong lug wrench. Mine is too short and has a lump on the end that won't pass through the lugs on the organizer. It might even be a bit too big on the wrench end as it is a sloppy fit on the lug nuts. Then I have that bag with all kinds of jack extensions made of square tubing. Do I need all that?

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wrong generation entirely.
Yeah, the Gen 4 is nothing like the Gen 3. I just went out to our 2011 and took all the pictures I think you will need. Each pic is named as to what it is. I could not get them all in this post, so split them up into the next 2. I removed the jack / tool assembly from the canvas bag and rotated it around so you can see what is in it.

Rear hatch open - Tire equipment area visible but closed.
Tire Equipment Area Hatch Closed.jpg

Tire Equipment Are Open
Equipment Area Hatch Open.jpg

Fuel Fill Funnel That Allows Gas Can To Add Fuel To Vehicle.
Fuel Funnel.jpg

Adapter Cable For Adding Trailer Brake Controller To Vehicles With HD Tow Option - Only Provided With HD Tow Vehicles. Note that 2015 and up vehicles with HD Tow came equipped with Trailer Brake Controller Mounted In The Dash.
Brake Controller Adapter - Inly in HD Trailer Tow Equipped Vehicles.jpg

Jack and Tool Kit With Canvas Cover Removed - Rotate 1
Jack and Tire Equipment 1.jpg

Picture limit reached, see next post for remaining

Last edited:

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jack and Tool Kit With Canvas Cover Removed - Rotate 2
Jack and Tire Equipment 2.jpg

Jack and Tool Kit With Canvas Cover Removed - Rotate 3
Jack and Tire Equipment 3.jpg

Waterproof Plug Covering Access To Spare Tire Lowering / Raising Mechanism.
Passageway For Spare Lifting Mechanism.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JamaicaJoe

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks! That confirms what I have and dont have. The main thing being my lug wrench as shown in "Rotate 2" is too short and has a big lump at the end preventing it from going through the holes on either end of the organizer. I actually have two lug wrenches, both wrong. On your second picture with the hatch open, I see a document rolled up. Are those instructions?

Last edited:

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks! That confirms what I have and dont have. The main thing being the lug wrench in "Rotate 2" is too short and has a big lump at the end preventing it from going through the holes on either end of the organizer. I actually have two lug wrenches, both wrong. On your second picture with the hatch open, I see a document rolled up. Are those instructions?
Yes, not very good, but that sheet is directions. If you want me to scan it and post, I can do that in a day or so. As I said above after changing 1 tire with Ford provided equipment, I made up my own "tool box" with small hydraulic jack, 1/2 " socket bar with sockets, tire repair kit, compressor, jumper cables, quart of oil, gallon of WW fluid, spare Bosch wiper blades, rags. paper towels, Windex and gloves. I feel much more comfortable with my "kit" than with what Ford provides, although I will keep that in place if I ever decide to sell the truck.

OP
OP
JamaicaJoe

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My jack is incorrect. Yours has a taller center pad which the organiser bolt can pass through. Mine is about an inch and a half shorter. The part number 5201-4430AA comes back to a RAM1500 truck It is a mopar part and the odd assortment of square tubeing and one of the lug wrenches is for that kit.

Yes if you could scan that. Please do so.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Will do, also get yourself one of the "Ford Funnels" as it is needed if you ever want / need to put fuel in your truck using anything other than a gas pump. They are inexpensive insurance.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire