Jumping Ship...Tahoe to Expedition EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 2004 Tahoe LT, really like the truck, but almost 200K and the rust is gaining (I'm upstate NY). I am a semi retired building contractor and downsizing from my former shuttle bus ('98 E-Superduty w/7.3 Turbo Diesel), to the current Tahoe, now on to something bigger. I had been looking at Suburbans but why? I've been a Ford guy all my life and Fords have been good to me. The local dealer (Fenton Ford) is great too, but then again, Andy Fenton is a very good friend.

So...I'm liking the 3rd generation EL. Are there years to avoid, or what years are best to be beyond? I can't afford new, or even close, but with about 20K I'd like to get something with less than 100K and hopefully at the better upgrades over the years. Lots of opinions on the intro section of "what to look for", but I couldn't find stuff like better tranny gear years, and/or whatever.

I realize there might be lots of opinions here too, but I'm shopping.

Thanks for the help...

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2009+ imho. You get the newer/better trans (6R80 vs 6R75) and Ford had worked out most of the kinks inherent to any redesign.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on 2009+. While my 2007 has been fine and no big issues with the 6R75 the 6R80 is definitely an improved trans.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since you're only driving <15k mi / year, much higher mileage is ok

Decide if you want the V6 turbo "Ecoboost" 2015-2017, or the V8 5.4L Triton - 2007-2014

Whether you want air ride or coilovers

If you're looking at more luxurious trims, check out Navigator L, it can actually be cheaper somehow... essentially same truck with upgrades, stock HID nicer interior materials better noise insulation and better stereo.

Only thing you lose out on a bit is if you go 4x4, Expedition comes with 2R/4A/4H/4L while Navigator has 2R/4A/4H without 4L

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ecoboost is best in my opinion but only with the caviat that I wouldn't own one that wasn't under a powertrain warranty. Barring that shoot for a 14 with 3.73 gears and the lowest miles you can find.

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do research on paint corrosion on hoods and lift gates. This is a big, common issue on many Expys, mine included. I think I read somewhere that the problem was resolved somwhere around 2012. that corrosion on the aluminum hood and liftgate is a real blemish (pun intended) on an otherwise great vehicle.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do research on paint corrosion on hoods and lift gates. This is a big, common issue on many Expys, mine included. I think I read somewhere that the problem was resolved somwhere around 2012. that corrosion on the aluminum hood and liftgate is a real blemish (pun intended) on an otherwise great vehicle.

Unfortunately, it hasn't been resolved. The TSB was updated to include models all the way up to 2017 and will probably be updated again to include the latest models. There's eve one guy on the peeling paint FB group with an '18 F150 that's already bubbling up. Ford isn't likely to ever address it as it's cheaper to just pay out small claims awards to the handful of people that are willing to go that route.

OP
OP
Jamo

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys...that really does help. 4 x 4 is a must, and the 4L would be nice at times but maybe not necessary? I will check into Navigators too. This will be a part time work truck, part time prime ride. We (my wife) lease a Flex every 3 years so we have a ride we can jump in and go anywhere. Mine is usually not my wife's favorite ride, but this one just might be...

WifeyExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We just jumped from an '07 Tahoe to a '16 Expy. Been real happy with our decision. Returned last week from a 2600 mile trip to Vermont and Expy was a comfortable champ!
Hi All,

I have a 2004 Tahoe LT, really like the truck, but almost 200K and the rust is gaining (I'm upstate NY). I am a semi retired building contractor and downsizing from my former shuttle bus ('98 E-Superduty w/7.3 Turbo Diesel), to the current Tahoe, now on to something bigger. I had been looking at Suburbans but why? I've been a Ford guy all my life and Fords have been good to me. The local dealer (Fenton Ford) is great too, but then again, Andy Fenton is a very good friend.

So...I'm liking the 3rd generation EL. Are there years to avoid, or what years are best to be beyond? I can't afford new, or even close, but with about 20K I'd like to get something with less than 100K and hopefully at the better upgrades over the years. Lots of opinions on the intro section of "what to look for", but I couldn't find stuff like better tranny gear years, and/or whatever.

I realize there might be lots of opinions here too, but I'm shopping.

Thanks for the help...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Jon Geyerman

Reaction score
Started with '11 Limited EL, then (and still have) '14 Ltd EL, now '15 Platinum EL & '17 Platinum EL; give me the 5.4 day in and out due to turbo lag and downshift lag, not to mention nanny state no accel on hard cornering with ecoboost. Give me V-8 and displacement any day. Should be able to find '14 LTD with about 75k or so for mid to hi $20s.