Just bought a 1998 Expy E.B

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quattro

Reaction score
What an interesting day to say the least. I just purchased a 98 Expy from a police auto auction for under $2500! It has 127000 miles, air ride suspension, rear seat tv with DVD player, third row seats, rear climate control, running boards,tow hitch.

It is white and in great condition, no dents, scratches, or door dings.

I know the car runs and starts, I check all the fluids and they all seem to be up to level. I pick the car up tomorrow at 1pm from the police impound lot and I would like some advice on a few things before tomorrow:

- From the photos does it look like this truck is lifted?
-Should I bring anything specific with me in case it is not running correctly (Ie, fluids, fuses..)
- Where/how much can I purchase a CD changer for the center console, it has been removed.

I look forward to getting involved with this forum and making some changes/updates to my new surfmobile! I have an 02 Audi TT that I am very involved in the forums there, and I hope to do the same here.

TIA for any info!

Attachments

• 98 expy 1.jpg
    98 expy 1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 98 expy 2.jpg
    98 expy 2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 166
OP
OP
Q

Quattro

Reaction score
Does anyone know if a 1997 CD changer will work in the 1998? I know the wiring is there, it has just been removed. Is the plug the same?

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hey nice find. i got mine from a government auction cause it was a drug runner. but i think a 97s will fit. as long as all the wiring is there. and if you have aaa you should be fine. if your not willing to push it find a buddy with a truck and rent a car mover from uhaul. or just take fuses and fluids. just in case. you never know how long its been sitting. and change the oil first thing you get it home too.

alexhozee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome!

Under $2500?????? damn, i payed $8000 for my 1998 EB pfffffffffffffffffff
Ok, at Curacao, prices are higher here.

When you come home change the fluids, then you now for sure there are ok.

Have fun with your new ride!!

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks like it has either a torsion bar lift or new keys.... basically a leveling kit... but hard to really tell from the pics.... but good find and I agree with everyone change all the fluids and do a once over....

cd changer you can buy on ebay or junkyards or look in the classifieds on here...

fiveohpoepoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely lifted some how. As mentioned, change all of the fluids and don,t forget the differential. GL

97ExpGuy

Reaction score
It looks good. As far as the center console CD player goes, in my honest opinion you would be better off installing an aftermarket head unit in the dash.
I had the factory 6 disc CD changer in the console and, because the way its mounted in the console, it gets a lot of vibration and will cause CDs to skip. Granted you could probably put in some foam or something to support it but I personally would advice you to add an in-dash CD player with iPod support and/or USB so you can put your music on a flash drive and go from there.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
congrats on your purchase. def change the fluids, including the diff like 5-0 said. as for the cd player, everyone has already given you great ideas. if you want to keep stock, ebay and craigslist. i thought someone on here was selling theirs...cant remember.

OP
OP
Q

Quattro

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info

Well I definitely had an interesting day yesterday picking up the rig. First thing I learned: BRING GAS WITH YOU TO THE IMPOUND LOT!!!! The truck had hardly any gas in it, and they had me drive off totally on E. I made it about one block and the car died. On top of it, since the car had not been driven in 3 weeks, the battery was dead. So I had to push the truck to the side of the road, buy a gas can, get gas, and get a jump.

With all that over, I went to get it smogged, and it passed with no problems. Then it was off to the DMV for a title change. Waited about 30 min and I was out of there with my plates and title transfer. (cost about $600 because of backed registration)

The rest of the day was spent cleaning this thing. It was DESTROYED:mad:. There was at least one full box of Cheerios crushed throughout the inside, stains all over, and just general dirt on all the interior. It was obvious that this thing had been sitting for a long time. I washed and cleaned everything.

The paint is very contaminated so I am no in the process of Clay Baring the entire thing. So far it is working miracles on the paint. I will then use the 3M scratch remover on my orbital buffer to work on a few little scratches. Then onto the 3M buffing compound, and finally a full wax all with the buffer.

I will post detailed photos when I am done. So far I really like this big rig!

Only negative thus far: AC is not blowing cold, should a recharge handle it, or will I need a new AC unit?

97ExpGuy

Reaction score
The rest of the day was spent cleaning this thing. It was DESTROYED:mad:. There was at least one full box of Cheerios crushed throughout the inside, stains all over, and just general dirt on all the interior. It was obvious that this thing had been sitting for a long time. I washed and cleaned everything.

The paint is very contaminated so I am no in the process of Clay Baring the entire thing. So far it is working miracles on the paint. I will then use the 3M scratch remover on my orbital buffer to work on a few little scratches. Then onto the 3M buffing compound, and finally a full wax all with the buffer.

I will post detailed photos when I am done. So far I really like this big rig!

Only negative thus far: AC is not blowing cold, should a recharge handle it, or will I need a new AC unit?

That's all in a used car. I found and old french fry and crumbles of food around the driver's seat after I bought mine. It might be worth your time to remove the center console and get access to the carpet underneath and around it. There's a guide on this forum on how to remove it (less than 10 minutes to do).

I do two major cleanings to my vehicle a year in the spring and fall. Both times I use a clay bar (Mother's brand kit with 2 bars and spray) and have at it. The results are great when followed by paste wax. For interior any heavy duty carpet cleaner should be good.

For the A/C have it checked out by a professional as it requires checking the system with dye to ensure no leaks are present and the correct amount of refrigerant.

Last edited: