Just did an oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't tried it but i believe that 97-98 relocation kit that some of us have should fit all models because they all have the same part number for the oil filter cover gasket.

Its just a matter of going to the junk yard for the parts and locating it behind the fender

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
jrjr, the unit that I am using in place of my oil pan drain plug is a check valve with a cap on it (2 boundaries for the oil to get out). So, when you go to drain the oil, you remove the cap and then screw in this 12" piece of hose with an override tip to it. This override tip forces the check valve open, allowing the oil to drain out. They used to be really popular, but I haven't seen them in some time. It cost me like $15 at the time. It was money well spent for me.
These fords need something like that since the drain plug is in a horrible place. My Explorer was the same way. Thanks.... will find something that will work.

nsperf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
in weird places, I just use a piece of card board to help direct the oil to my drain pan. I use this solution in many hard to reach applicarions.

As for the oil filter relocation, I would just find a truck or expy that has the fiter located under the front bumper. Propably take a couple of bucks and a coupl of hours to install but man, this is the easiest oil chnage of all my vehicles.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Evan, when you say 2 filters, why would you want to run 2 filters in series with each other? Just curious. There is some logic to it, but for a vehicle the justifiable reasons are few and far between. If you are talking about running then in parallel with each other, then actually they would help maintain a higher oil pressure inside the engine. But, you are talking a very minor increase in oil pressure.

If you are talking about going with a micron oil filter in parallel with a standard oil filter. There is a lot of justification for that. The big problem is paying the initial $200 for a kit to add to the truck and then the additional costs of replacing 2 filters (one of which is the micron filter which isn't cheap). The benefit is that the micron filter removes everything that will tend to lead to engine wear which in theory would allow an engine to run almost forever along with not having to change the oil. But then, in addition to the 2 filters you now have to change every 5,000-10,000 miles, you should also do oil analysis tests to determine when the oil should be changed. Sure, the tests are only $10 to have done, but when you add that in with the cost of the filters, you don't really save money when comparing it to doing normal oil changes.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
The kit that Jay references only increases the surface area of your filters, which, reduces the pressure drop across the filter(s). Yes, this does help, but for the cost and additional material the gain is very small. You get a filter kit like this: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bf.aspx, you are going to gain a lot more.

The Amsoil kit is decent, but if you are looking for extending the life of the engine, then this kit is ok as it only filters to about 2 microns (vice the 40ish microns that a standard filter goes to). To pretty much eliminate all engine wear, you need to be down around 0.5 micron filtration. NOt that I have done any research into this subject.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chase5817