Preparing for doing first oil change myself

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pete Costanza

Reaction score
It’s a super easy oil change. The felt belly pan comes off with 4 8mm bolts to access the drain plug. There’s nothing to take off to access the oil filter. My advice is to get the engine warm, but not hot. As other have said, spin the filter off slowly and it will all drain out the back of the filter drain trough. There’s a hole in the metal undercover for the oil to go through. If your vehicle is level, it will go right through the hole and not make any mess. As for the drain plug, I recommend you loosen the plug, then hold the drain pan up near the vehicle with your other hand. Get the plug out, then lower the drain pan as the oil is flowing. This prevents any oil spraying all over the place. As for oil and filter, I use Motorcraft 5w30 Synthetic Blend and a Motorcraft FL500S Oil Filter and change them every 5k miles. They can both be purchased at Walmart for a really reasonable price. I never spill a drop and with a little patience and strategy, you won’t either.

Last edited:

foxg

Reaction score
I'm planning on changing the oil in the Expy myself for the first time (done it on other vehicles plenty of times before). I'm planning on grabbing some Mobil 1 Advanced and a Motorcraft filter, as well as a Fumoto valve (or similar). I'm just curious if this vehicle has any quarks I should know about or any specific tips?
Thanks!
When I changed mine the filter was on extremely tight. It was a bear to get off. I have four different oil filter wrenches and finally got it off . The bottom of the new filer was changed and I purchased one that fits it like a glove. It has 13 or 14 indentations and now I anticipate it being much easier the next change. Once you see where it is at you’ll understand why I’m commenting. The new filter tool was like 25$ -29 & from Amazon. Quality was spot on. Hope this helps.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do my oil changes at the Redstone Arsenal auto craft shop on a lift. I remove the felt cover, and the skid plate. I know removing the skid plate isn’t necessary, but leaving it in place makes it easy for the liner on top to get drenched with oil (this is my experience from dealership services while traveling for work).

For draining purposes I use the huge drain pan they have attached to the oil catch bucket. This way any weird oil draining trajectories are caught from all directions.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do my oil changes at the Redstone Arsenal auto craft shop on a lift. I remove the felt cover, and the skid plate. I know removing the skid plate isn’t necessary, but leaving it in place makes it easy for the liner on top to get drenched with oil (this is my experience from dealership services while traveling for work).

For draining purposes I use the huge drain pan they have attached to the oil catch bucket. This way any weird oil draining trajectories are caught from all directions.
I wish I had that type of place around me here in MA! A place that you can use and lift your vehicle up (safely) with a real auto lift to do DIY to your own car. Thats awesome!

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I changed mine the filter was on extremely tight. It was a bear to get off. I have four different oil filter wrenches and finally got it off . The bottom of the new filer was changed and I purchased one that fits it like a glove. It has 13 or 14 indentations and now I anticipate it being much easier the next change. Once you see where it is at you’ll understand why I’m commenting. The new filter tool was like 25$ -29 & from Amazon. Quality was spot on. Hope this helps.

Had that issue on my Timberline and it you have to put your arm through the hole in the skid plate. Pain.

Learned years ago to always hand tight the filter. Make a mark and go up to 1 turn once the gasket makes contact.
Never had an issue since and the filter will not come off or leak. Some filter manufacturers recommend only 3/4.
Tools should only be used for removal if its stuck.

Pancho258

Reaction score
What oil filter wrench is everyone using? Have a 22 Timberline where you need to remove the access panel on the skid plate to gain access to the filter. Filter is set back and difficult to get a good grip with just about any style of wrench. Had an 18 2 wheel drive and did not have this issue.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What oil filter wrench is everyone using? Have a 22 Timberline where you need to remove the access panel on the skid plate to gain access to the filter. Filter is set back and difficult to get a good grip with just about any style of wrench. Had an 18 2 wheel drive and did not have this issue.
I went with the following. It is a little pricey but really well made. It only works with the Motorcraft filter (old and new) but that is all I use.
Motivx Tools Oil Filter Wrench Compatible with Motorcraft FL-400S, FL-500S, FL-910S and Mazda YF09-14-302A, LF05-14-302B Oil Filters - Dual Size Fits Original and New Motorcraft Filter Design https://a.co/d/6CzbL4D

OP
OP
S

SublimeHiPpOs

Reaction score
I got under the Expy to confirm that I have a metal oil pan before buying a Valvomax drain plug. Could someone please confirm that this is indeed the oil drain plug? Just want to he certain before I buy anything.
1000007052.jpg