Keyless entry codes (change factory?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Godfrey

Reaction score
I've searched the forum to see if this has been asked or answered...Some of it has...some not...

The manual tells you not to use a keypad code that is easy to figure out. However...my factory code is probably the easiest of them all...

I was at a dealer today getting a 3rd key for the truck and asked if the factory entry code could be reprogrammed.

Their answer was:
Yes, it can be for about $1,000. That's great for them.....I still have to pay sales tax on this thing!

Is there any way for it to be changed? I do not want to disconnect it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Philip

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1-2-3-4-5?

If the dealer says that it cannot be changed (within financial reason) them I would assume that it cannot. It would require a new or totally reprogrammed PCM or GEM.

I don't know what to tell ya other than most folks don't even see it on the truck where it is, so theft may not be a huge issue.

OP
OP
G

Godfrey

Reaction score
Bummer!

I realize that if you want to get in my truck you could:

1) Have a set of Ford keys (aren't there like 40+ keys?)
2) Slim-Jim or some other similar device
3) Go through window...(Pick one it has many)

Thanks for your time as I figure this new truck out. I still have my '95 Explorer XLT that I'm preparing to put on the market...Haven't driven that Ford lately. :)

Philip

harley320

Reaction score
I changed my keypad code myself the directions were in the owners manual i have a 2000 expy maybe the 2004 is different

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by harley320
I changed my keypad code myself the directions were in the owners manual i have a 2000 expy maybe the 2004 is different

You can add your own code but you can never overwrite the factory code. :)

rjstat

Reaction score
The reason your dealer wants to charge you a $1000.00 for to reprogam the factory code is because he is selling you a new control module. The codes are preset from the factory and then they put the code on to the control module so if there is a problem the mechanic has a base code to work from. I would get another price from another stealership I think he is way off with his price.

macb

Reaction score
why not see if you can get a unit from salvage? can't be that
hard to replace...but I haven't done it so???

I wonder if you pulled that unit down and opened it up - if the
code is just a set of dip-switches or something equally simple?
or just a series of resistors that can be moved to create a new
circuit and change the code? I've seen that done in other vehicles

rjstat

Reaction score
Problem right now is there is not lot of these vehicles in salvage yards right at this time also the GEM for 2003 to 2006 are the same if you can locate one at a salvage yard.

uschaz

Reaction score
Where there is a will there is a way

All the forums and the ford dealer are correct in that you cannot change the master code. You can however change the sequence of numbers that you push on the keypad to something entirely different therefore in essence, you can change the code.
If for example your code is 12345 you can change your keypad so that 12345 no longer works and 55341 is what you actually push on the keypad to open the door.
What you can do is cut 2 wires coming out of the keypad and cross them. If you really want to get tricky you can do more wires but for me 2 was enough.
I was going through pure hell as my ex knew the master code, told her loser of a boyfriend what is was and he was enjoying stealing my stuff and leaving me nasty surprises for me on my seat. It took me a Sunday afternoon of going slow so nothing got broke or damaged but it was sure better than the $1200 my dealer quoted me.

Attachments

• Cutting the right wires.jpg
    Cutting the right wires.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 866
  • I used conectors and shrink tube.jpg
    I used conectors and shrink tube.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,339
  • keyless wiring diagram.jpg
    keyless wiring diagram.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 4,011

Latest posts

Forum statistics