Keyless Start Fob (17 Platinum)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Has anyone found a way besides spending $120 at the dealer to program a second fob? I know if you have two fobs you can program more yourself, but I haven't seen a way to program #2 yourself yet. I can't believe Ford is ****** us for that much just to program a fob. That's not even including the damn fob either...
It seems like this is something you should be able to do with Forscan, but...

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The link above is if you have two programmed fobs. AFAIK, there's no way to do it with only one fob. Went through this rigmarole around Christmas because one of our fobs got stolen while my wife was on a business trip (she didn't take the truck but some reason took the keys. Sigh) Anyway, I think I forked out over $300 to get it all done. And that didn't include the metal key.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
The link above is if you have two programmed fobs. AFAIK, there's no way to do it with only one fob. Went through this rigmarole around Christmas because one of our fobs got stolen while my wife was on a business trip (she didn't take the truck but some reason took the keys. Sigh) Anyway, I think I forked out over $300 to get it all done. And that didn't include the metal key.
That's what I was afraid of. Things change everyday though so I figured I'd throw this back out there.

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm 90% sure you can reprogram through ForScan and get the metal key cut by a local locksmith.

I haven't gotten into the ForScan game yet, so I do not know how hard it is to do. But I believe I have seen ForScan instructions for coding keys somewhere on here, or maybe on the F150 forum....

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
I'm 90% sure you can reprogram through ForScan and get the metal key cut by a local locksmith.

I haven't gotten into the ForScan game yet, so I do not know how hard it is to do. But I believe I have seen ForScan instructions for coding keys somewhere on here, or maybe on the F150 forum....
I posted out there about it a couple of times and did some light searching, but I never found anything. I'll try digging again and maybe expand it to F150 like you mentioned. I think I was mainly searching under smart key and things like that. If I could do that it would be great. It's not the money it's the dang principle...

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I posted out there about it a couple of times and did some light searching, but I never found anything. I'll try digging again and maybe expand it to F150 like you mentioned. I think I was mainly searching under smart key and things like that. If I could do that it would be great. It's not the money it's the dang principle...

I know the feeling I just bought a 17 Limited that came with only one key, and I am terrified I am going to lose it and be forced to get crushed by the dealer.

If I figure it out before you, I'll post a how-to; you should do the same.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
I know the feeling I just bought a 17 Limited that came with only one key, and I am terrified I am going to lose it and be forced to get crushed by the dealer.

If I figure it out before you, I'll post a how-to; you should do the same.
Absolutely. I'd start looking now, but Forscan is blocked at work. The whole Russian site thing I'm sure.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can do it yourself but like jkayca said you need two already programed key fobs to program a third key fob. If you do not have 2 programed key fobs Only a dealership/locksmith can do it. It is a security feature and there is no way around it.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
You can do it yourself but like jkayca said you need two already programed key fobs to program a third key fob. If you do not have 2 programed key fobs Only a dealership/locksmith can do it. It is a security feature and there is no way around it.
Yes, we've gone over that quite a few times including in my original post. I'm trying to find a work around to programming a second key. Not the third. If a locksmith can do it someone will figure out a way eventually. They aren't magicians and Forscan is pretty powerful.

Thanks.