Keyless Start Fob (17 Platinum)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone found a way besides spending $120 at the dealer to program a second fob? I know if you have two fobs you can program more yourself, but I haven't seen a way to program #2 yourself yet. I can't believe Ford is ****** us for that much just to program a fob. That's not even including the damn fob either...
It seems like this is something you should be able to do with Forscan, but...

Went into Auto Zone or Advance auto and their cost for the fob was like 20 bucks but after u buy the fob you have to buy the deal that allows you to program the fob. All told it was still over 100 bucks. Seems the auto part stores are keeping up with Ford on the cost to own a new fob....good luck and let us know how it turns out.....

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Went into Auto Zone or Advance auto and their cost for the fob was like 20 bucks but after u buy the fob you have to buy the deal that allows you to program the fob. All told it was still over 100 bucks. Seems the auto part stores are keeping up with Ford on the cost to own a new fob....good luck and let us know how it turns out.....
Interesting. I didn't realize parts stores could do it too. Again, if they can do it anyone can once we figure it out. If I find something I'll definitely post back up.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know the feeling I just bought a 17 Limited that came with only one key, and I am terrified I am going to lose it and be forced to get crushed by the dealer.

If I figure it out before you, I'll post a how-to; you should do the same.
If we started treating a used car with only one key like a car with only 3 tires, dealerships will start supplying that 2nd key.

Me: "Only one key?"

Salesman: "yeah...its all we got"

Me: "Oh....what else you got on the lot?"

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, we've gone over that quite a few times including in my original post. I'm trying to find a work around to programming a second key. Not the third. If a locksmith can do it someone will figure out a way eventually. They aren't magicians and Forscan is pretty powerful.

Thanks.
Anybody pull a rabbit out yet? No?
The only reason Licensed locksmiths can do it is because Ford issued them a tool with software. without that tool you can not program another key to the truck without 2 keys. There is no work around unless you want to put your own operating system in the truck (good luck with that)
It is a security feature for your benefit not theirs. This is not something that just Ford does it is a standard in the Automotive industry.

That being said, for those of you with 2 keys that want to avoid this problem go buy a blank have it cut. (anywhere that cuts keys)
Program with the link in post 2 and throw it in your safe. Think of it as key insurance pay 1/3 now or full price later.

P S There is no blank Key fob for a 17 platinum for $20 (maybe a key fob cover)

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the forscan site explains how to program a 2nd key from a single key.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know the feeling I just bought a 17 Limited that came with only one key, and I am terrified I am going to lose it and be forced to get crushed by the dealer.

If I figure it out before you, I'll post a how-to; you should do the same.

If CPO from dealer check your sticker. If it says 2 keys or remote start and your keys aren’t remote start insist they provide the key. I even went to the part of DMV that deals with dealer complaints. After doing so they told the dealer they had to either provide the features listed on the sticker or redo the financing without those features. If redoing the financing and the feature was part of a package they had to redo the value and financing without the package. In my case remote start was part of 202A which was a lot of the extras on my 2016 XLT.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Anybody pull a rabbit out yet? No?
The only reason Licensed locksmiths can do it is because Ford issued them a tool with software. without that tool you can not program another key to the truck without 2 keys. There is no work around unless you want to put your own operating system in the truck (good luck with that)
It is a security feature for your benefit not theirs. This is not something that just Ford does it is a standard in the Automotive industry.

That being said, for those of you with 2 keys that want to avoid this problem go buy a blank have it cut. (anywhere that cuts keys)
Program with the link in post 2 and throw it in your safe. Think of it as key insurance pay 1/3 now or full price later.

P S There is no blank Key fob for a 17 platinum for $20 (maybe a key fob cover)
We get it. You don't think it can be done. Reprogramming ECUs etc wasn't possible either until innovation led to someone designing Forscan. There is nothing worse than someone who says something can't be done. I'm the OP and I'm looking for ideas, not all the ways it can't be done. This isn't the thread for you...

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Hawk,

This link may give you what you need, but a very quick scan also may tell you you're forced to the dealer. I did not read the entire thing to see if there is a resolution.

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=839&hilit=programming+a+second+key

After scanning that a bit more, it appears that's only for slightly older vehicles. I don't know if it will work for you.
Thanks a lot. I'll check it out. I would right now, but Forscan is blocked at work... I plan on digging into Forscan this weekend a lot more. I think there will be something there.

fabsroman

Reaction score
Has anybody tried to program a 3rd Smart Key with the method linked in this thread (i.e., press the door unlock 3 times, press the brake pedal, press the door lock 3 times, press the brake pedal, watch the Start button blink, press the Start button)? I tried this with 2 Smart keys that I bought off of Amazon and I am getting a "No Key Found" error when trying it with the new keys. I have the two programmed FOBs in the vehicle when I am attempting this with the two new FOBs. Completely frustrating.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire