Knocking noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordfarm

Reaction score
I have a 1999 EB with the 5.4. For about the last 4 years I have experienced a small ticking/knocking noise directly after startup and within about 60 seconds it would go away.
Now, for about the last year, the noise does not go away until under power going down the road. Could this be a lifter/tappet issue? The noise is coming from the left/Driver side. Anybody know what this is?

murvilboy

Reaction score
hmm i need to check mine out too bc mines doing that exact same thing. mine sounds more to be exhaust manifold bolts....possible to swap to headers??

cayoloco

Reaction score
I have a similiar noise up on front right side engine compartment---intermitent at start ups--doesn't appear to be in engine---it's a rap-rap-rap----speed doesn't change with engine speed---thought was the egr valve slamming back & forth but changed with no help--yesterday got idea might be solenoid slamming back & forth ????--I know sounds crazy----everytime I get someone to help track it down then it won't do it---it is pretty loud when it does----I do need to fix----thanks all

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is pretty common for the first generation Expeditions to have exhaust leaks at the exhaust manifold. It is usually due to broken bolts, but could also be from warped manifolds.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 1999 EB with the 5.4. For about the last 4 years I have experienced a small ticking/knocking noise directly after startup and within about 60 seconds it would go away.
Now, for about the last year, the noise does not go away until under power going down the road. Could this be a lifter/tappet issue? The noise is coming from the left/Driver side. Anybody know what this is?

fill her up with the highest octane available and see if that cures the noise. high octane is not a permanent solution but if it fixes the knocking then it will tell you what you need to fix.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FukNshT