Knocking on start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m sure this has been talked about but my search yielded no results.

2007 Expy Limited. When starting in the morning I get a fast knocking that goes away within a second or two. Only happens when cold starting it. What’s the culprit? Lifters? Cam phaser? Rotory girder? [emoji38]

2007 Ford Expedition Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m sure this has been talked about but my search yielded no results.

2007 Expy Limited. When starting in the morning I get a fast knocking that goes away within a second or two. Only happens when cold starting it. What’s the culprit? Lifters? Cam phaser? Rotory girder? [emoji38]

I would check the basics first; correct oil level, correct oil viscosity, a high-quality oil filter, and length of time from last oil change (clogged oil filter?).

Not sure what a rotory girder is?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be piston slap, these engines use forged pistons which do that time to time when cold. Another likely possibility is you have an exhaust manifold leak as the studs are known to break off on the passenger side one. Listen close to the passenger manifold on a cold start and you’ll hear it if that’s the case.

Or is it more of a clattering or rattle noise? That would indicate timing chain tensioner seal starting to blow out and slack in the chain after sitting meaning a timing job may be imminent. For what it’s worth I had this but could not do the timing job this winter so I added some oil stop leak to my oil a few thousand miles ago and the startup rattle has gradually disappeared for the most part. This isn’t a permanent fix by my standards more of a time buyer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would check the basics first; correct oil level, correct oil viscosity, a high-quality oil filter, and length of time from last oil change (clogged oil filter?).

Rotory girder is from Tommy Boy...classic Chris Farley.

iimagine

2016 EL XLT
Reaction score

That was my first thought. Check the oil.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
That’s not good. The reason it only happens when cod and only a few seconds is delayed oil pressure. Oil pump! Maybe the rest of your VVT.

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Assuming it's not piston slap or exhaust, I would agree that oil pressure delay is the culprit, but not necessarily the oil pump. I would guess that the check valve in the oil filter isn't' holding and the oil is draining back into the pan when it sits for a while. If you have normal oil pressure when running, then the oil pump is fine. Any brand of filter (including Motorcraft) can have an occasional manufacturing defect. The filter is cheap. I would try swapping it out, possibly with a different brand. Start the vehicle and give the filter time to fill. Then shut it down and refill the oil to the proper level. It may not take a whole quart.

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Assuming it's not piston slap or exhaust, I would agree that oil pressure delay is the culprit, but not necessarily the oil pump. I would guess that the check valve in the oil filter isn't' holding and the oil is draining back into the pan when it sits for a while. If you have normal oil pressure when running, then the oil pump is fine. Any brand of filter (including Motorcraft) can have an occasional manufacturing defect. The filter is cheap. I would try swapping it out, possibly with a different brand. Start the vehicle and give the filter time to fill. Then shut it down and refill the oil to the proper level. It may not take a whole quart.

Ok thank you for the input.

Last night I changed the oil and put a motorcraft filter on...it was still some off brand on there from when I bought it a few mo back. I’ll see if fresh oil and quality filter makes a diff.

Oil pressure has seemed fine so I’m hoping this does the trick.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Get Kendal 1 synthetic w liquid titanium.
It’s made by the same company that makes motorcraft oil, ConocoPhillips.

Kendal has a far superior additives package at half the price. Use motorcraft filter.

My money is on the known issues w stock oil pump. Google it and see.