Largest tires that will fit stock FX4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Micah Z

Reaction score
Anyone know the largest tire size that will fit on a stock 2019 Expedition XLT FX4? Without modifications and using the stock 18" FX4 wheels. What fits without rubbing? The Michelins that it came with measure about 31.5" diameter as-is. Also, I can't seem to figure out what the rim width is of the stock wheels or what the max width tire they accommodate. Anyone know?

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are a few threads on tire sizes, but don’t directly answer the question due to additional factors, such as lift, change in wheels, etc.

the wheel size is 18x8.5 with a +44mm offset. For reference, the 20s are same width with same offset. The 22s are 9.5 with same offset.

one of the issues with bigger tires, isn’t just the diameter (liner rubbing) is the width. At full lock, the tires are close to the upper control arm. You can test this, yourself and feel the clearance. Also, you can have someone slowly turn the steering wheel and watch the wheel in the wheel well to see how much clearance you have.

to me, it looks like you could go to nearly 33” diameter maybe a bit more (32.5 as noted above) and maybe a bit wider. As a reference, there is a thread or so discussing adding Raptor wheels and tires, which are massive in comparison, to get an idea where the rubbing is.

This maybe old news to some, here.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t know if this is normal for all Expys or just mine. I bought mine new and had the Ready Lift Put on day one. Installed 35x12.50x20’s and had to do some minor trimming. After 3500 miles the suspension must have settled in and I had to do more trimming. If it’s new I would leave a little room just Incase. Especially if you don’t want to trim your fenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaffer9

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! Just bought a '19 FX4 and thinking about what we could stuff under there on the stock rims.

RANDAL CHAO

Reaction score
In tire shop right now. Here are the latest intel:
2020 Expy Limited FX4, RL 3/2, Raceline Mamda HD 20x9 +25mm

Tried several tire sizes:
Nitto Terra Grappler G2: 35x12.5x20 rubs (34.5"x12.5"), need to move front fender line about 1", doable, but too much hassle
Nitto Terra Grappler G2: 295/65/20 rubs (35.1"x11.8") , need to move front fender line about 1", doable but too much hassle
Nitto Ridge Grappler: 285/60/20 (33.7x11.5), very very minor trim when fulllock.

Update: Realigned fender felt liner, now no problem with 35/12.5/20 G2 Tires.

Cheers -R

Last edited:

MontExped18

Reaction score
Just wanted to double check to see if a set of winter tires I currently have will fit on my Expedition. I have a stock (no lift, no leveling kit) 2018 XLT 4x4. Tires are 285/60/18. Will they fit without any rubbing? Appreciate the help!!

Shaffer9

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just wanted to double check to see if a set of winter tires I currently have will fit on my Expedition. I have a stock (no lift, no leveling kit) 2018 XLT 4x4. Tires are 285/60/18. Will they fit without any rubbing? Appreciate the help!!
Yes should be fine, running 285-70r18 with no issue