Leaking pumpkin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mic_1011

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I LOOKED UNDERNEATH MY EXPEDITION AND NOTICED THAT THAT BIG ROUND THING THAT'S IN BETWEEN THE REAR AXLES ((I CALL IT THE PUMPKIN) WHAT IS THAT THE REAR DIFF?) IS COVERED IN WET GREASE OR OIL. MAINLY THE BOTTOM HALF. IS THIS A MAJOR PROBLEM, SHOULD I JUST DRAIN IT AND REFILL IT? ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE APPRECIATED.:confused:

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like your diff cover is leaking. One other possible explanation is the vent tube may have spit a little diff oil out and it ran down and is dripping off. I would try to find out where it is coming from by cleaning it off and determining the source when it start leaking again.
If it is the cover, I would drain the diff and remove the cover. Use a liquid gasket material like an RTV sealant as the gasket and reinstall the cover and you should be good to go.

Spoon-Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same thing happend to me. Drained it and put a new gasket on and mine was fixed.