Lean Misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PBH

Reaction score
My 2001 4.6 seems to have a misfire under light acceleration, I feel it on small inclines with the cruise engaged, and around town under light acceleration.

I have no fault light. I am thinking mass air or a bad spark plug. (The vehicle has 80,000 miles on the original plugs.) Any suggestions?

3rd7son

Reaction score
I had similar problem for the last few months. Going up fairly steep inclines would cause sputtering/misfiring.

Local Ford dealer connected and analyzer and drove it around. Identifed COP #8. Changed it (and spark plug). Now runs fine.

Cost around $225.

Good luck.

OP
OP
P

PBH

Reaction score
Thanks. I knew it couldn't be cheap. It's much better in the warm weather, I'll have to do it in November. maybe my OBDII will show a misfire.

I can't even see the spark plugs, so I'm sure this won't be easy to fix myself.

3rd7son

Reaction score
Total cost was as follows:

$65 for analayzer.
$120 for COP.
$7 for plug.
$30 for labor.
(all approximate).

I have a buddy who could get a COP for around $60. The hard part is figuring out which cylinder. (Thus, the anaylzyer.)

Looks like a front one (COP and plug) would be pretty easy. COP is held by only a couple screws and boots over the plug.

#8 is in the back so I didn't want to mess around

SONGDOC

Reaction score
THANK YOU,
man i've been tracking this down for a while.
i've finally gotten the misfire on cylinder 8 code. should i go ahead and replace the COP while i replace plug. that thing is a ***** to get to for me.

3rd7son

Reaction score
If I recall corrrectly, they recommended changing the plug also (corroded due to mis-firing). If it's getting near your 60,000 mile tune-up you may want to change all of them right away.
Good luck

SONGDOC

Reaction score
yes, i am going to replace the plug. i need to know ,if it is worth the time saved, if i should replace the C.O.P. do they go bad often? is it worth the money now?
any help would be great. thanks in advance.

T.W.

3rd7son

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion.

I assumed you were asking if, when changing the C.O.P., you should also change the plug (not visa versa). I would expect the misfire is due to a bad C.O.P.

Who is doing the work? I would expect a Ford dealership (or experienced Ford mechanic) would recommend the same. If neither, try calling a Ford dealership, tell them the situation (misfire) and ask what they would do?

Good Luck.

stang99x

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this same problem on my navigator once. I just bought one new COP and 8 new plugs, and one at a time replaced the plugs with the new COP until I found the guilty party.

Total cost

COP from autozone $47
8 Doube platinum plugs -$32
My time screaming, yelling, and cussing, $priceless$