Left rear speaking makes a knocking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gail W

Reaction score
I'm taking my 2017 Expedition back to the dealer again tomorrow for an issue with the left rear speaker. This is the speaker in the far back where the tailgate opens.

Sometimes (not always) when music or commercials are playing on the radio a weird knocking noise comes from the speaker or where the speaker is mounted. It's not a matter of how loud or quiet I have the radio set. If I increase the volume the knocking does not get louder. The only way I can make the knocking go away is to change the station or just turn off the radio.

I recorded it on my phone and played it back to the service tech at Ford and he thought it was definitely the speaker. They replaced the speaker but that did not fix the problem.

Maybe there is something wrong with the mounting of the speaker?? If anyone has heard of this issue and knows the answer please respond. I can send you the recording too if it helps.

c-atkinson

Reaction score
I think the only speaker that is further back than the rear door speakers is the subwoofer (assuming your model has one). There are some air vents in the very back by the lift door, but there are not speakers there. Just a motor for the lift door and a secondary a/c on the passenger side. I doubt what you are hearing is coming from a speaker.