License plate lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Question, has anyone ever replaced their license plate lights in the rear hatch with LEDs?

I had a Ford Freestar a few years back and when I put LEDs in the license plate lights, the PCM Apparently thought there was a short in the system and shut down that circuit. Even when I put normal incandescent lights back in, they would no longer work.

I’ve put LEDs in other car makers, but Ford has me scared now. I would love to put LEDs in, but I don’t want a repeat of the Ford Freestar. If anyone else has done it successfully, I would love to know!

(I did put LEDs in the interior with no issues)

2007 Ford Expedition Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Question, has anyone ever replaced their license plate lights in the rear hatch with LEDs?

I had a Ford Freestar a few years back and when I put LEDs in the license plate lights, the PCM Apparently thought there was a short in the system and shut down that circuit. Even when I put normal incandescent lights back in, they would no longer work.

I’ve put LEDs in other car makers, but Ford has me scared now. I would love to put LEDs in, but I don’t want a repeat of the Ford Freestar. If anyone else has done it successfully, I would love to know!

(I did put LEDs in the interior with no issues)

But why would you want them?

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It worked no problem on my 2012

www.drivebright.com

Funny you sent me that Drive Bright link...
The owner of that business reached out to me like 5 years ago when I had a 2013 Ford Focus Titanium and he wanted to use my car as a demo vehicle for his driving lights. He lives not far from me. Super nice guy.

I’ll put some led’s in and see how it goes! Thank you for response.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But why would you want them?

+1.

If you need more light when going in reverse, dedicated reverse lights are the way to go. The license plates - no matter how bright - are not going to put off enough light to be of any real use on their own for this purpose. All they're going to go is make my plate easier to see for the interstate version of BBQ Becky when she calls 911 to report that I'm going 75 in a 65.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1.

If you need more light when going in reverse, dedicated reverse lights are the way to go. The license plates - no matter how bright - are not going to put off enough light to be of any real use on their own for this purpose. All they're going to go is make my plate easier to see for the interstate version of BBQ Becky when she calls 911 to report that I'm going 75 in a 65.
That's what I was thinking, I doubt if led's by your license plate will improve the quality of your life.:emotions33:

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking, I doubt if led's by your license plate will improve the quality of your life.:emotions33:

Sure they will.

Just like getting your fav color vehicle or those rims you like, or getting your hair cut the way you like it, or even landscaping your yard. None of those things improve the quality of your life...but they do allow you to express your freedom and individuality.

And I happen to like LED lighting! ‘Murcia!

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sure they will.

Just like getting your fav color vehicle or those rims you like, or getting your hair cut the way you like it, or even landscaping your yard. None of those things improve the quality of your life...but they do allow you to express your freedom and individuality.

And I happen to like LED lighting! ‘Murcia!

Yeeeok