License plate lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sure they will.

Just like getting your fav color vehicle or those rims you like, or getting your hair cut the way you like it, or even landscaping your yard. None of those things improve the quality of your life...but they do allow you to express your freedom and individuality.

And I happen to like LED lighting! ‘Murcia!

2007 Ford Expedition Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is LED lighting big in southeastern Spain? :)

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1.

If you need more light when going in reverse, dedicated reverse lights are the way to go. The license plates - no matter how bright - are not going to put off enough light to be of any real use on their own for this purpose. All they're going to go is make my plate easier to see for the interstate version of BBQ Becky when she calls 911 to report that I'm going 75 in a 65.

Being that the more light a camera lens can take in the better quality image it provides. Therefore adding more light directly to both sides of the camera (License plate bulb) and more light to the area as a whole (Reverse lights) you get a much better image at night.

Much like how drastically different my doorbell camera video quality is if my porch light is on or not.

I installed both sets at the same time and there is a huge difference in image quality at night compared to the factory bulb.
Not to mention the LED reverse light I used are quite stout and create a much brighter area behind me. With no need to add wiring and switches for dedicated aux. rear lighting.

I am not worried about Becky calling in my plate because I am driving like a clown. If I were I’d get a smoked license plate cover.

Plati

Reaction score
Customizing your auto is an American tradition. Canadian too I would guess. Used to be headers, carbs, cams, fuzzy dice, all kinds of stuff. With modern cars it's tunes, led led lights, infotainment, etc. Same deal.

Spell check

Last edited:

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LEDs do make a different. I've replaced many of the lights on my wife's old 2006 Mercury Monterrey with LEDs. In the interior, man what a difference. Not just able to see more, but the car no longer feels as old as it is. I could easily see the desire to upgrade all of the remaining lights with LEDs. Sure license plate lights do not 'improve' your visibility as a driver. But neither does a customer license plate, or a funny bumper sticker, or a stick family on the rear tailgate. Its just another thing we do because we like it. Quit giving the guy crap.

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: Replaced them this morning. Both work well!
Thanks for input y’all.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LEDs do make a different. I've replaced many of the lights on my wife's old 2006 Mercury Monterrey with LEDs. In the interior, man what a difference. Not just able to see more, but the car no longer feels as old as it is. I could easily see the desire to upgrade all of the remaining lights with LEDs. Sure license plate lights do not 'improve' your visibility as a driver. But neither does a customer license plate, or a funny bumper sticker, or a stick family on the rear tailgate. Its just another thing we do because we like it. Quit giving the guy crap.

My in laws threw all cool white led on the interior of their 03. It almost hurts to sit inside w them on. It's such a harsh white. I want to move to LED but I actually like the softness of the factory lighting. Anyone have a suggestion on what is similar?

OP just tell them all to f off. It's a personal taste thing. Lol. I personally dont like the led plate lights, it doesnt do much for me but it's your car. I understand wanting a good backup cam image though. I live between towns essentially and it's quite dark around here. I plan to install higher output reverse nights though. Plate lights can introduce glare depending on exactly how it strikes the lens. The backup cam I chose has excellent dynamic range and could still benefit from extra light. It has better image quality than what is on my in laws 2016 ram from the factory despite costing substantially less.

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My in laws threw all cool white led on the interior of their 03. It almost hurts to sit inside w them on. It's such a harsh white. I want to move to LED but I actually like the softness of the factory lighting. Anyone have a suggestion on what is similar?

OP just tell them all to f off. It's a personal taste thing. Lol. I personally dont like the led plate lights, it doesnt do much for me but it's your car. I understand wanting a good backup cam image though. I live between towns essentially and it's quite dark around here. I plan to install higher output reverse nights though. Plate lights can introduce glare depending on exactly how it strikes the lens. The backup cam I chose has excellent dynamic range and could still benefit from extra light. It has better image quality than what is on my in laws 2016 ram from the factory despite costing substantially less.

The ones I installed are not quite as bright as some of the others. They have a frosted lens on them making the light whiter but not harsher.

Sounds like you’re friend put some super bright ones in. You can look on eBay for ones that are warmer colors. And you’re absolutely right...it’s a personal taste thing!

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ones I installed are not quite as bright as some of the others. They have a frosted lens on them making the light whiter but not harsher.

Sounds like you’re friend put some super bright ones in. You can look on eBay for ones that are warmer colors. And you’re absolutely right...it’s a personal taste thing!

*your friend not you’re friend. Damn autocorrect

ChrisRCNY

Reaction score
Warm white bulbs are a bit less yellow than the factory ones, but not as eyeball melting as the cool white.

I stuck a set of led reverse lights in that are like led headlights, heatsink and all. Bright enough to convince me to hold off on the rear light bar...