Lifted 2WD project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rptr00

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After reading and researching and coming up empty time and time again, I decided to post my 2004 Expy project. I was never able to find pics or answers to many of my questions. Here is my experience:

I wanted to do something different and I think I did.

Truck: 2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 2WD - $15000
Lift: 3/2 Truxxx lift - $85 from ebay (yes it was new!)
Wheels: 17x9 Polished Centerline Forged wheels - $556
Tires: 315 70 17 BFG A/Ts used - $240 (craigslist find!)
Exhaust: Magnaflow 22x11 polished 3" exhaust w/4 inch tip - $250
Intake: K&N FIPK - $150 (ebay steal!)

Lessons learned
- Trimming is absolutely required regardless of what the lift instructions say! The factory running boards extend too far into the wheel wells, front and rear, expect to shave off the ends. Also need to trim inner fender lining and front bumper
- Your speedo will be off the faster you drive. Under 40 mph is negligible but at highway speeds, refer to your GPS or simply buy a programmer
- Gas mileage will suffer! I took a 4 mpg hit from the stock setup. Again, a programmer could only help here
- It WILL FIT in the garage!
- The BFG's are loud. They definitely sing as you roll down the road
- Finally, modding your truck is contageous! But I think everyone here already knows that!

Future Plans
- Bull Bar
- remove the factory running boards and replace with nerf bars
- Programmer. undecided as to which brand I'll use

pics
IMG_0257.jpg]
IMG_0248.jpg
IMG_0251.jpg

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well it does look good! im surprised the tires are loud though. most a/t arent loud at all. for programmers most people choose the edge. seems to be a very reliable programmer and has lots of options depending on what kind of driving you want to do that day. lookin good though.

mmrseed

Full Access Members
Reaction score
looks great and surprised they fit with that lift. Are you gonna go higher? What rear end gears are you gonna step up to? 4.56? Anyway, again, looks very cool

dgray69

Full Access Members
Reaction score
looks very nice, we could have a tire singing comp, i think theres a few of us singing a lil louder with super swampers though these things scream, lol

OP
OP
R

rptr00

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lifting it higher really isnt an option. Readylift makes a replacement coil spring/strut combo that adds I think 2 inches. I am not sure if they could be used in conjunction with the truxxx spacers. Possible driveshaft issues. A bodylift would probably be best although there isnt a kit available. A while back, someone on here posted that they were going to buy the F-150 Performance Accesories bodylift and make it work. Never did see a followup to that. I think I'm pretty happy with the way it is. Besides, it still fits in the garage, which I really need in the summer here in Nevada. As far as re-gearing goes, I currently have a 3.73, so 4.10 would be best. What the truck really needs is more low end power. I have the 2V 5.4 only putting out 260HP. The newer 5.4 is a 3V making 300hp.

dgray69

Full Access Members
Reaction score
perf acc does make a body lift for your truck, same truck runs around here where i live 2 wheel with level body lift, but hes running these monster dubs the rins are like 22 inches, there huge,

OP
OP
R

rptr00

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmm, I'll have to check on that. I know there was a prototype bodylift on an Expy EL I saw. Cant remember the name of the company, but it was in one of the off road magazines.

seattleboarder

Reaction score
Hey grey, can you point me towards the body lift you saw for an 04 expy? I've been trying to hunt one down for days now without any luck. I have lift money burning a hole in my pocket but I've been trying to figure out the exact setup I want before I start tossing it around. A body lift is the missing piece of my puzzle! :)

dgray69

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i did not see them online, he used a kit he had for his f150, and the bolts all needed to be purchased at local hardware with washers and nuts, there is no kit he said for the 04s, he shimmed his and used old pucks, and said if you have never done this type of work befor do not even attempt it, his truck was laid up 2 and a half weeks over this, so ? is how important is it to you, and do you have another set af wheels to drive while this undergoes a major sergery, now trying to discurage you, will see if i can get a hold of kid and get some pics, befor he leaves again