Lifter sticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
1955moose

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never watched the whole movie, how's it end? Not good I'd imagine, after seeing that broken valve spring in the beginning. I guess the lifter body that Toby and I were talking about, gets in a stuck upward position, that screws up the 0 lash clearance you want and need. From everything I've read and heard here, it's worst on 04-07 F150's and 05-07 Expeditions. Is it because of the weak oil pumps from Ford on those years? Or is it a problem into 3 rd editions as well, into say 2010 or so?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What I am saying is it can't get in an up position. It sits in the cup and does not move.
I think what happens is the inside oil part loses pressure and it gets soft and the rocker can move around and even pop out.

Also If a valve sticks in its guide or slips all hell will break loose.

OP
OP
1955moose

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The videos I watched a few months back showed the lifter stuck in a up position, and not being able to move smooth in their bores. The other thing I saw was the roller rocker getting worn at the roller causing valve train clearance issues. That and the hydraulic part of the lifter/actuator losing the hydraulic pressure due to leakage/ worn seal. The stuck galling of the lifter in bore seems to be 05-07 on Expeditions. I think a lot of the problems are due to the usual running low on oil, and lazy oil changes.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have seen collapsed ones not pumped up with oil and have seen the failed ones where the roller bearing has a ton of play.
I have not seen any stuck or moved to up position ones.
I am only talking about old non vvt ones. Maybe the new ones move.
The old ones don't do anything but sit there and let oil go through them after they are full and pumped up.
They never move up and down in their bore. They are always at the bottom and stay there.
Unless I imagined all of this. But I have had the valve covers off of 4.6 2 valves and 6.8s. 5.4 2 valve are the same as a 4.6 for the most part.

OP
OP
1955moose

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Apparently these don't move up and down, but they need to rotate in their bores. A worn roller on a rocker can throw clearance off by .010 or more. When I find the video on the stuck lifter, I'll shoot it to you.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, I think they spin life traditional lifter. The rocker roller gets all sloppy and moves like .030-.040 even. I think that lets things gets cocked and starts breaking things or making them come apart.

OP
OP
1955moose

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The cam lobes get all chewed up when the roller gets bad enough. Ironically I can't find that video from a few months back. Oh well, who cares anyway. If and when it happens to you or me, you'll know it. I've been pretty lucky, I haven't had to do any internal motor work on my vehicles in a long time. Nissan's, and 5.0 Ford/Lincoln's is why. Good thing too, I rotated my tires on Sunday, and was huffing and puffing. Heavy 50 pound wheels, and me out of shape, a bad combo. I'm like Stamp, when I do an oil change, I lay on my creeper, and catch a nap!