light sputter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toasted

Reaction score
Hi,
i'm from Belgium. I will explain the best english possible. I bought a 1998 Ford Expedition Eddie B 5 months ago. It has 75000 miles on it. I got a 1 yr warranty on it.
Expeditions are very very rare here and most ford dealers do not have equipment or knowledge...
First problems occured when the anti theft was malfunctioning. Transponder was replaced, however, when lowering the tilt steering, it occurs again. Lifting the tilt will solve the problem. Could be bad contact and a too loose wire.

When going surfing (long drive), i noticed the engine feeling very tired, valves would not make a healthy sounds, rattle a bit and oil pressure light would go on when decreasing speed.
Technician put in a new oil filter, used 4 cans of oil flush and new oil.
For 2 weeks all was going well...
Now, when I start in the morning, there is a slight whisling sounds , only for 10 seconds or so.
Since yesterday, the car has low power on speed, it trembles a bit, like light sputtering and when driving at 50/60 miles an hour the check engine light would flash until driving at lower speed.
The engine makes a ticking noise too, i don't know if this is normal, maybe it's a spark... no idea.

I drove V8 like this when on holiday in CA, and these cars had much more power then this one now has. I should expect a healthy V8 sounds, not a tired diesel sound, right?

I hope you guys can help me. I will forward any info to the technician who had been helpful, but due to lack of daily maintenance and knowledge on these kinds of cars, i don't know if he'll be able to know exactly what is wrong.

Thanks for your help

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by toasted

The engine makes a ticking noise too, i don't know if this is normal, maybe it's a spark... no idea.

Could be the spark plugs or wires, but it's definitely not normal for there to be any ticking noise.

OP
OP
T

toasted

Reaction score
thanks. i turned it in to the garage that sold it to me. i have a yr warranty on it.
i just called him and he had a readout that there is a shortcircuit on the 7th cylinder. might be spark plug or cable.
what is your thought about this?