Limiting Rear Liftgate Travel on 2017

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

john2017

Reaction score
I tried the manual with no luck. Can you limit the opening travel on the rear liftgate so it does not hit the garage door?

OP
OP
J

john2017

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I had a 2015 Explorer so I am familiar with this procedure. But does not work on my 2017 Limited Expedition. Hard to believe the liftgate opening height can not be adjusted.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I had a 2015 Explorer so I am familiar with this procedure. But does not work on my 2017 Limited Expedition. Hard to believe the liftgate opening height can not be adjusted.
I didn't know that. I just assumed that they all would be adjustable. I didn't try it with mine because it was too cold out last night and I didn't feel like going out. I had a 2006 and a 2009 Mercedes ML 350 that allowed you to adjust the height of the lift gate.

There has to be a way.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes there is....
it will stop when encountering resistance, then will reverse.

i have closed it on myself a time or two already and it squished me then reversed.

you might place a rubber bumper on the ceiling to stop door damage.

then again, i bet the truck computer has a check box that will allow an upper limit or closing force adjustment. might need to see a ford technician

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I bought a new 2015 Expedtion Limited 4x4 - my first Ford.

I was amazed that the liftgate travel height could not be adjusted. A family member has a 2013 Equinox (1/3 the cost of the Expedtion) and the liftgate switch can be turned to adjust the opening height very easily.

Several other items that the expensive Expedition lacks: individual readout on the dash of the tire pressures and a HVAC passenger air filter. My salesman told me the Expediton had both of these - but he was wrong.

I like the Expedtion - but it is clear that Ford shortcuts many features, when compared to other manufacturers.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the Expedtion - but it is clear that Ford shortcuts many features, when compared to other manufacturers.
I suspect that the real issue is that its a 14 year old platform that doesn't allow for many of the newer technologies. With the 2018 will come a host of new technology and I suspect some of these issues will go away. I like my 2017 and I tried to adjust the liftgate and found that I could not adjust the travel.

It could be something stupid, like, open the liftgate, set it for the height you want, lock and unlock the doors 5 times until the horn beeps, then turn on the headlights while pushing the close button the dash while putting your foot on the brake and moving the drivers seat to the rearmost position. :biggrin:

OP
OP
J

john2017

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone"s comments. There are a few nice features I had in my 2015 Explorer Limited that are missed in my new Expedition. Oh well... I still love my truck!

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I suspect that the real issue is that its a 14 year old platform that doesn't allow for many of the newer technologies. With the 2018 will come a host of new technology and I suspect some of these issues will go away. I like my 2017 and I tried to adjust the liftgate and found that I could not adjust the travel.

It could be something stupid, like, open the liftgate, set it for the height you want, lock and unlock the doors 5 times until the horn beeps, then turn on the headlights while pushing the close button the dash while putting your foot on the brake and moving the drivers seat to the rearmost position. :biggrin:
and stick you tongue out, whilst closing your left eye.
:anitoof:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes there is....
it will stop when encountering resistance, then will reverse.

i have closed it on myself a time or two already and it squished me then reversed.

Yeah....picture this....A couple weeks ago I was pretty sick. When I finally agreed to go to the DR, I was in bad shape so I let her drive. When we get home I get out of the truck after hitting the open-liftgate switch on the dash, go around and open the door for my sweetheart. Then I go to the back of the truck to get stuff out that we bought at the store. Meanwhile, she not knowing, hits the keyfob liftgate switch again. Now the door is closing and it clocks me square in the head....I'm not sure what the required pressure is to reverse it's action but it's enough to nearly knock me out! She doesn't get to hold the key anymore. I have often teased that I will die by her hand some day and have told my kids so....it really will be an accident when it happens so I've told them to relate that to the police......but it will happen. I'm positive that the last words I will hear will be "I didn't mean to......"

jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badbolr