Lockers and gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’m about ready to order gears and lockers and bigger tires in the next few weeks. I was wondering what lockers you might recommend and what gears I should run. I’m probably going with 37” tires. Also to note I would like to tow a 22’ toy hauler with this. Thanks for any and all input.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4.56 at a minimum. 4.88 more likely.

I have Eaton Truetracs in my Explorer. Not a locker but acts almost like one.

OP
OP
craig sargood

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4.56 at a minimum. 4.88 more likely.

I have Eaton Truetracs in my Explorer. Not a locker but acts almost like one.
Thanks Tom, what’s the difference?? How do they act differently?? I believe starkman has those. Seem to work pretty good, I’m not gonna be doing anything too crazy with my truck, I spent a lot of energy building it. But I do want to take it to Moab one day and try to run some stuff, not afraid or ashamed to back off something if it’s too sketchy.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, Starkman has them.

So a locker locks the axles together solidly. Truetracs are helical geared limited slips (no clutch plates to wear out).

A locker needs wiring (if an electrical locker) or an air line and a compressor (if an air locker). There are some mechanical lockers, but their street manners aren’t my thing so I don’t recommend those. A Truetrac is completely self contained.

A Truetrac on the street is pretty invisible. Turning a tight corner and getting heavy on the throttle I can spin the tires, but otherwise never notice them. On the trail (in my Explorer), I just point it in a direction and as long as I have the clearance, it seems to get there. No switches to flip, it just goes.

The trade off is if you lift a tire in the air, you have to fool the Truetracs by applying some brake with your left foot as you gas with the right. A locker doesn’t care if a tire is in the air.

Reaction score
I have a 1999 xlt,4.6, with 164K used as my winter driver. Two sizes over on my tires forget the size been 4 years with the tires. I installed a Sparton lunchbox locker myself in 5 hours and am pleased with how it performs. Locks and unlocks smooth and for my use on dirt and snowy country road I am 95% happy with it. The 5% is people saying sir you have a CV joint going out. Hell nice of them to even say anything. Just my story, good luck.