Looking at buying, 2nd row question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its not uncomfortable but ford didnt put an armrest in the sec row bench which makes it harder to be comfy. Also, from what im hearing and from what i remember feeling atleast in the 4th gen, the sec row capt chairs are more plush and supportive.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you go from sitting on the captains chairs to sitting on the rear bench, its like sitting on a sheet of plywood in comparison. I sat in 2 side by side at the dealer and immediately told him to lock up the one with the bench because I wasn't interested in that.

OP
OP
T

tunes

Reaction score
Higher trims have the captains as standard and the bench as an option from what I remember.
I thought that but we are looking at the Limited and it seems 90% of the ones i find have the bench.

OP
OP
T

tunes

Reaction score
Who will primarily be sitting in the 2nd row? If you have kids, the bench usually makes more sense even if you plan to remove the center seat.

If you don’t have kids and will primarily have adults in the 2nd and 3rd row, the captain’s chairs are a nice option but I wouldn’t say necessary.

I’ve done a 5 hour road trip in the 2nd row bench seat and didn’t find it uncomfortable.
3 kids, 7 year old, 2 year old, infant. easiest to put the oldest in the 3rd row with a booster, the infant and toddler in the captains chairs.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Who will primarily be sitting in the 2nd row? If you have kids, the bench usually makes more sense even if you plan to remove the center seat.

If you don’t have kids and will primarily have adults in the 2nd and 3rd row, the captain’s chairs are a nice option but I wouldn’t say necessary.

I’ve done a 5 hour road trip in the 2nd row bench seat and didn’t find it uncomfortable.

This is exactly why you should have the option or both when you buy it.

I have heard people with kids that want the console but remove it so the kids can walk through to the 3rd row easier. Other people kneel in there to put younger ones in 3rd row boosters or car seats. One poster said his kids just hop over the top of the bench.

I don't car which one is more comfortable as I won't be sitting in either. In all the SUVs we've owned I might have been in one of the 2nd or 3rd row ones once or twice tying to lay down and sleep on a trip. I am either in driver or passenger seat.

The buckets are nice as the console acts as an armrest and without it they feel terrible without armrests like van captain chairs.

I wan't the extra person capacity BIG TIME! I am ok if the center seat back folds down to an armrest or writing table but I want 3 people in the 2nd row capacity.

The 2nd gen Navigators did it all wrogn and the new Explorers got it right ....IF you are only going to seat 7, then the 3 should be in 2nd then the 2 in 3rd IF YOU can't make the 3rd big enough for 3 like the Explorer.
If you are picking up kids etc as most people who move people around are moving their kids and their friends...When you roll up to pick them up and there is 3, they have to flip a seat to get to back row. If the 2nd row is 3, they don't. So all SUVS should have 3 person 2nd rows regardless of 3rd row design.

Seating 1 additional person is a big win and a Navigator with console loses. The extra elegance doesn't make p for the one extra person. An Expediton with leather and 8 pass beats a Navi with 7 every time. Unless you don't move people..Then I see no big need for SUV!

I have owned a lot...wait I should type that A LOT!!!! of vehicles I did not need. Hovercraft, limos, firetruck, monster trucks, drag bikes, baja beetle bug, sandrail, conversion vans, etc so I fully understand just wanting an SUV because you like the look and never having over 1-2 passengers with you the whole time you have it.
But if you don;t haul people around there are trucks and 4 door trucks that give you more functionality than an SUV.
They tried to combine the two but never worked for me.
Until they make a 3 row SUV and add a bed to it, it won't work for me.

aporthole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3 kids, 7 year old, 2 year old, infant. easiest to put the oldest in the 3rd row with a booster, the infant and toddler in the captains chairs.

I have 3 (10yo in a backless booster, 7yo in a high back booster for long drives or backless booster for around town, and a harnessed 4yo). We keep all 3 in the 2nd row 90% of the time. It is really nice to have the option of folding the full 3rd row when we have a bunch of gear with us. On long drives we usually put my oldest in the 3rd row to give everyone a little extra personal space, but I couldn’t image not having the option of all 3 in the 2nd row.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Navigator has 3 seat configurations:
  • Buckets
  • Buckets with console (Reserve and above)
  • Bench
Most stock units have buckets. I wanted a bench because I wanted the extra seat. I wanted the short wheelbase. There are a few times I need to carry luggage and people. Having the ability to have an extra person in the middle row and have more space for luggage is a plus.

So far, I have only carried 7 people. Each time I carry 7, we end up putting 3 people in the middle row and 2 in the 3rd row.

I ordered my Navigator exactly the way I wanted it. It was less expensive than a stock unit and only took 6 weeks. If you are buying new and are not in a hurry, ordering what you want on an Expedition or Navigator is the way to go. Much easier to negotiate too (shop the identical vehicle at multiple dealerships).

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Navigator has 3 seat configurations:
  • Buckets
  • Buckets with console (Reserve and above)
  • Bench
Most stock units have buckets. I wanted a bench because I wanted the extra seat. I wanted the short wheelbase. There are a few times I need to carry luggage and people. Having the ability to have an extra person in the middle row and have more space for luggage is a plus.

So far, I have only carried 7 people. Each time I carry 7, we end up putting 3 people in the middle row and 2 in the 3rd row.

I ordered my Navigator exactly the way I wanted it. It was less expensive than a stock unit and only took 6 weeks. If you are buying new and are not in a hurry, ordering what you want on an Expedition or Navigator is the way to go. Much easier to negotiate too (shop the identical vehicle at multiple dealerships).

Agreed! The best way is to get the L and the bench.
You can get by with regular wheelbase but if you ever use a long one you will really feel like you have ZERO room in the rear with the 3rd row seats up.

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed! The best way is to get the L and the bench.
You can get by with regular wheelbase but if you ever use a long one you will really feel like you have ZERO room in the rear with the 3rd row seats up.
Don't you mean the other way round?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't you mean the other way round?

I knew what I meant...just can't type it right! Lol

I mean if you have a regular one and use and L or borrow one....or have an L and go back to an short one...it will feel terribly small in the back storage area.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357