Looking for information on 2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikefromco

Reaction score
I am in the market for a 2018 Expedition max limited and would like to know the common issues people are having and if there are any red flags.

any information is appreciate, thank you in advance

3tonsoffun

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome. Look through the first 6 pages of this forum and you’ll find all your answers.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got a late 19 new. Should be some great deals out there now even on 20s. From what I gathered, the 19s got a few refinements, including cam phasers after April 8th.

gas mileage is claimed to be a bit higher by ford.

Last edited:

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Biggest concern is related to failure of the cam phasers that require major engine work. This is manifested as loud engine rattle at cold start. Ford indicates that vehicles built after April don’t have this issue — but who know??

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are the issues I have experienced with my 2018 Platinum.
  • Rear Main seal had to be replaced (big job)
  • Cooler hoses to transmission leaking, had to be replaced twice
  • Rear CMHSL water infiltration, had to be replaced
  • both side mirrors would "freak out" when you remote start and then unlock vehicle, software updated needed
  • Front passenger axel seal was leaking, needed to be replaced
  • I suspect the cam phasers are next on the list. Makes an awful racket when first starting up
I still enjoy driving it despite the issues, nothing is perfect.

3tonsoffun

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are the issues I have experienced with my 2018 Platinum.
  • Rear Main seal had to be replaced (big job)
  • Cooler hoses to transmission leaking, had to be replaced twice
  • Rear CMHSL water infiltration, had to be replaced
  • both side mirrors would "freak out" when you remote start and then unlock vehicle, software updated needed
  • Front passenger axel seal was leaking, needed to be replaced
  • I suspect the cam phasers are next on the list. Makes an awful racket when first starting up
I still enjoy driving it despite the issues, nothing is perfect.
All of that is pretty much unacceptable in my opinion for a 2018. It is sad they have all these issues, no wonder Chevy Suburban is becoming more popular

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2018s had some issues because it was a first year. If you look thriugh the forum, most issues after 19 are leaking shocks, the occasional moonroof rattle, and the mirrors popping. Almost every car can have electronics gremlins, but ford seems to have fixed most of it. And honestly, outside the cam phasers, most ppl who have issues have high pkg ltds or plattys. Most ppl who have xlts dont report issues and brag they dont have issues lol.

My 18 rwd 301 ltd had the following issues:

-popping mirrors
-intermittent bt connection drops
-failed taillight due to condensation
-leaking front left shock

Quality problems were the following:

-recall for bench seat track
-replaced bench seat track for rattle
-ripped front seat(may have been done by dealer)
-moonroof rattle
-squeaky interior trim(doors, rear panels, liftgate panels, b and c pillars)

In all, fantastic truck, i kinda expected it to be problematic due to it being a first year but had high hopes since most of the trim was taken from the f150 and reused parts from the 3rd gen. I would do it again if i could though with a platinun and miss mines everyday.

Last edited: