Looking to Buy a 2nd Gen Eddie -- Years/Options to Look For?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you talking about the relays under the hood,as for kick plate do u mean the dead pedal

Read the attached links as they will explain the issues with the fuse block and the purple wire problem I have also attached a pic of the purple wire problem

The purple wires are under the sill plate on the drivers side and behind the kick panel.

http://www.expeditionforum.com/f41/po430-code-non-start-issue-22423/#post180859

http://www.expeditionforum.com/f16/...-auto-headlight-not-working-25453/#post208117

Refer to page 4 on the above link and see attached pics

Last edited:

DonahueRyan4

Reaction score
I've got a 2003 Eddie Bauer 4WD
-5.4 L (330 cid) 2 valve V8

Mine has all options EXCEPT
-Navigation
-heated seats
-traction control
-TPMS

I have never had any problems with it, except for a new catalytic converter at 135k miles.

The only thing I'd look for is paint bubbling and/or peeling. (Both of which you can see on my expedition below) however this has been determined to be a factory defect

Attachments

• 20150415_083658.jpg
    20150415_083658.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 2015-04-15 08.40.15.jpg
    2015-04-15 08.40.15.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 77

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everything already stated great info. I would choose a 2V (03-04) over a 3v (05 or newer) just because of the breaking plug issues. I was concerned that a 2V 4.6 would be way too weak (supposed to be even slower than a 1st gen with the 4.6 due to weight added in 2nd gen) however I was happy with it after test driving. You may consider a 4.6 simply because the smaller engine seems to preserve the transmission better. The Ford Triton modular V8 engines are already a pain to replace spark plugs on, no need to make it any worse. Check the edge of the hood, rear tailgat, roof and wheel wells for any bubbles in the paint, rust, etc. Make sure all interior lighting works especially on the window and lock switches on all 4 doors if you're concerned about that. Check for rust or corrosion on the lines that come out of the radiator, I had one start leaking and the other one is on it's way out. Radiator support, look under the front bumper and look around the front body mount, that's where the rust will be the worst.

OP
OP
T

thadius856

Reaction score
Update

Realized I never came back and thanked everybody for all the great info. I certainly read it!

I ended up stumbling upon a '01 XLT that was an amazing deal. It was a few things I didn't want ('01, XLT, white, 4.6L), but it was in amazing condition. Garage-kept. Perfect interior. Not a single stain or leather rip.

Q3p0S9H.jpg
WNpaIbp.jpg

I checked just about everything you guys mentioned, and every single thing checked out.

No tailgate bubbling
6-CD changer still works 100%
All weatherstripping great condition
All doors closed smoothly
EVERY switch light works
Hood/hatch hydraulics brand new
A/C compressor good and blows cold in front (rear needs a recharge)
3rd row seat never sat on
2nd row fold-down seat fully functional
Mirror motors work
Power pedal work
Running boards good
No rust anywhere, even the radiator supports. The bushings are still fresh!

No TPMS (meh), no sunroof (meh), no DVD (good, tablets work better anyway).

Professionally lowered and with 20" wheels. I could care less, but the (short) wife is happy about it!

A paint chip missing from the driver's door handle and the driver's window squeaks a little when going past 1/3 down.

35,305 miles. Dealer serviced every time with CarFax to prove it all. $5,500.

For that price, I could maybe get an '03-'04 with 150k miles in fair condition in my market.

I do wish I had the Eddie exterior trim, but I think I'll live.

Last edited: