Going to check out a 2014. What should I look for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vigilante

Reaction score
Hi all.

Though I have not been on the forum for a while, I have continued to stay in the Expedition game. After my 1999, I upgraded to a 2005 and now am looking at a beautiful 2014. But before I fly half way across the country to check this thing out I figured I would ask those present what issues exist on a 2014 that I may not know about? I read through the sticky at the top of this forum and found some helpful information.

I am bringing a small tool bag with me on this trip as I plan on going over it with a fine tooth comb. I am an experienced mechanic but was curious about year-specific issues for 2014 if there were any.

I appreciate the help!

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The main things would be:
- a noticable knocking or loud tapping sound, usually from the passenger side rear valve cover, which would indicate one or more bad roller followers (and bad cam, possible head, etc)
- when (or if) the timing components were replaced and whether OEM parts were used - aftermarket timing parts are generally junk
- then just the usual stuff

OP
OP
Vigilante

Vigilante

Reaction score
Thanks! This is what I am going through on my '05 5.4. At 225k the timing chain has a lot of play in it.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can always fix the mechanicals. I would not buy from the rust belt, nor certain areas that have flooded, as in SW Florida, hurricane Ian.
I would look at the frame rails for rust and finding none, go look to the radiator support bracket and then rockers etc.

bodabdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Listen to a cold start on the motor.
Verify oil pressure with a gauge, factory gauge is just an idiot light.
If it's at or over 150k miles, timing replacement is a strong possibility. Negotiate accordingly.
Verify that blend doors are functioning.
Make sure it's not running 50 weight oil to keep it quiet.

Pilgrim

Reaction score
These are all true to some degree, however every one is different. Up here, frame rust is not an issue, but the rockers will eventually rust out above the running boards just in front of back fender. I'm just about to tick over 300,000 miles and my engine has never been touched, except for a coil pack and three sets of plugs. Just returned from a 4,000 mile trip to TN. Ran like a clock. Only issue is the passenger exhaust manifold tick for a few seconds at startup.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all.

Though I have not been on the forum for a while, I have continued to stay in the Expedition game. After my 1999, I upgraded to a 2005 and now am looking at a beautiful 2014. But before I fly half way across the country to check this thing out I figured I would ask those present what issues exist on a 2014 that I may not know about? I read through the sticky at the top of this forum and found some helpful information.

I am bringing a small tool bag with me on this trip as I plan on going over it with a fine tooth comb. I am an experienced mechanic but was curious about year-specific issues for 2014 if there were any.

I appreciate the help!
At a Corvette group I belong to when a member is thinking about buying a car some distance from home they attempt to see if another member lives near the car for sale. If so arrangements can be made to have the person close to the purposed sale look the car over and take relevant pictures for the purchaser. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65