Loud fan like noise?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brown3

Reaction score
2003 expedition 5.4 v8 172k miles

Noticed two days ago a loud sound coming from the engine that sounds like a fan. When you drive you notice it right away then it fades away. When your in park and give it gas it's super loud. Wonder what people might think it is. Also I notice when I'm driving and take my foot off the gas it decelerates faster than it usually did. And when I go about 30 an exelerate I can have it pegged and it just slowly goes faster.

(I did just experience a battery drain that I fixed by removing a fuse for the rear wiper and when I did all that I had removed my negative battery terminal for an extended period of time. Not sure if it has anything to do with what's going but I thought I would mention that's what I did a couple weeks ago)

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Fan clutch is coming on ,its failing or the truck is overheating.

OP
OP
B

brown3

Reaction score
It was the tension pulley for the serpentine belt. Fell apart when I was driving and destroyed the belt. All fixed now and noise is gone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badbolr