Lower ball joint replacement 1998 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shadow460

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it possible to press the lower ball joints out of the control arms and replace just the ball joint? If it is, I don't see the need to replace a nearly $300 part despite what the Haynes book says to do. I don't know if the ball joints or control arms are original or not.

BTW, thanks to those who persuaded me to change out the tranny filter. There is no more slipping or skipping, and the truck has a nice purr to it during acceleration like that of the powerful luxury vehicle that it is. :D

rydnlow

Reaction score
Yes lower ball joints can be pressed in and out. Uppers you have to replace the whole arm.

OP
OP
S

shadow460

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey that's great. I knew I'd need to replace the upper control arm with that ball joint, but I wasn't 100% sure on the lower control arm.

Do I still need to remove the lower control arm to press the joint out? It seems to me that would make using the clamp style press a little easier.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No you do not, take a ball joint fork and simply pound that in between the ball joint and the arm, it will pop right out. The ball joint should stay inside the cup. Make sure to remove the nut on the bottom before doing this though.

Lifesavr65

Reaction score
Ok ok ...... I have 154,000 on the Expy. It's a 2001 EB. and I'm finally going to change the ball joints. Should I do both upper and lower or just the lower ?

What other suspension parts should I change while at it ?

Reason I haven't fixed anything is the steering is tight and it doesn't pull.... I just feel that the parts need to be changed??

If I could just get the lame COP system to stop crapping itself every few months recently I'd relove my old truck............changed #6 today....

CaperCanadian

Reaction score
With 154,000 on it I would change them all, and look at inner and outer tie rods too. I just changed out my upper and lowers last month with 207,000 km on them, have the rest to do just waiting on the weather. changed the upper control arms to ones with replaceable ball joints, and all of the parts have grease fittings.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok ok ...... I have 154,000 on the Expy. It's a 2001 EB. and I'm finally going to change the ball joints. Should I do both upper and lower or just the lower ?

What other suspension parts should I change while at it ?

Reason I haven't fixed anything is the steering is tight and it doesn't pull.... I just feel that the parts need to be changed??

If I could just get the lame COP system to stop crapping itself every few months recently I'd relove my old truck............changed #6 today....

Depending on your financial situation I would try and do the upper ball joints and tie rod ends (inner and outer) at the same time. Doing these will require an alignment to be done by a shop, and if you don't get one fairly soon after the project, you will notice uneven tire wear up front.

As for the lowers, you can replace these without an alignment, however I would recommend doing these first before the upper ball joints and tie rod ends because they tend to be the ones that are the most worn.

1ATony

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We have some suspension rebuild kits over here too if anyone needs to overhaul their front end.

Here's a link to them on our website Ford Expedition suspension