Lower radiator hose help please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeatherT

Reaction score
I am changing out the radiator on my 1999 Expedition and bought this giant awesome all aluminum one to replace the stock one but I'm confused about the lower radiator hose. I have the hose with the band that you rotate 45 degrees and here is my question. The new radiator I bought is just normal on the bottom hose area....like you would use a hose with a hose clamp. Mine is that bonkers one that looks like it has to fit on some special inlet on the actual radiator. My question is ...will this new hose with the band fit this new all aluminum radiator with just a normal bottom thing...when it doesn't look like the stock one? I spent a lot of money on this new radiator and it was guaranteed to fit my truck but....I'm needing input here please!!! I'm a girl just learning as I go here and figure if I did a fuel pump last time....I can manage a new radiator but now I'm not so sure! Thank you so very much and sorry if this is a stupid question.

OP
OP
H

HeatherT

Reaction score
Well I read multiple places about people putting this type of hose on an aftermarket radiator and all was good until it was up to running temp and built up pressure .....then resulting in a leak right there. I also read about mechanics using a gasket maker and then placing the hose on the radiator then. So I know the hose will fit....but with that being said said I was hoping for some more insight before I dove Into this

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's been many years, but if I recall correctly the OEM radiator has ridges on the connection point. The hose connector has matching sections that fit over those. I imagine it's leaking where those ridges are. I'm sure you could seal it up with gasket maker, but replacing that hose seems like a better option. You could theoretically cut that section of the hose off also, but I would be concerned about not having enough hose left or miscutting it.

OP
OP
H

HeatherT

Reaction score
I actually thought about cutting that end off and had the exact same thought about it being too short. You are correct in that the OEM radiator has those dang tabs and my new one doesn't. I just wish more people had information about doing this because it can't be that rare! Im leaning more toward cutting that little collar off but I think I'll crawl under there and look at how much slack the old hose has since it's still hooked up to the factory radiator....I appreciate input from anyone who can give it most definitely. Thanks for your time!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett