M/T Mud-Terrain Maximum Traction

Off Road Maximum Traction Tire Choice

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am venturing into a purchase that I want to be sure that at the end of which I am not left thinking Damn why did I buy these...:emotions122:
I am speaking of course of buying a set of 35x12.5xR17 M/T tires, I have decided on M/Ts rather than A/Ts because
1. I don't want the truck to be a PAVEMENT PRINCESS and I want people to know that when I drive by them.
2. I have used ATs in the mud and they blow... and here in Florida we don't go off-roading we go Muddin, we arent climbing over rocks and tree stumps. So I cant be rollin on some ATs
3. The truck is still my daily drive so I will need to be able to handle Torrential down pours so my main concern on the street is not so much wet traction as HYDROPLANING
So I am asking who of you out there has had some experience in using MTs on the road and in deep sticky mud.
Narrowed down to:
-Toyo Open Country M/Ts (rode in a guys truck who had these and he COULD NOT GET STUCK!)
-BFG MUD-TERRAINS
-Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrain
-Goodyear Wrangler MTR With Kevlar
-Super Swamper Radial Trxus Mud Terrain
-Super Swamper LTB
TOO MANY CHOICES AND NOT ENOUGH INFO

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your looking at the toyos u might wanna consider the mud grapplers

OP
OP
Expeditionary

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have heard good things about the mud grapplers other than their incredibly loud road noise, which i dont really mind too much.... but I have heard the tread wear is not as good as it should be (20,000miles on a set)
vs 30,000+ on a set of the toyos, but idk really im just trying to gather as much info as possible so that i can make an informed decision

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive heard that too. But from what Ive read aslong as you rotate them and they are properly balaced you should be good to go. Grapplers are cheaper then the Toyos but same company.

Sierra Lima1470

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know 3 people who have the BFGoodrich Mud Terrians and they love them.
1) 96 Jeep Cherokee 2) 99 Chevrolet Tahoe 3) 03 Z71 Chevrolet Silverado.

They look GOOD, from what they tell me they last a long time, and here in southern VA people go muddin here too as well as beach driving and only the Jeep has ever gotten stuck and that was on soft sand with full PSI.

So that's what I recomend.
I'm running some eye poppingly expensive Michelins Mud and Snow tires and they SUCK. They blow out incredibly easy and traction isn't too hot either in the snow. My next tires will definitly be the BFGoodrichs.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Procomp xtreme ATs.... they have been on my truck for 2 years and love them for street and any mud I have driven in.... also are really good on snow and ice

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
too bad you dont have the hankook mts on there. #1 rated mud tire by off road magazine. it has the same forward dig as the pitbull rockers and then the side wall is just as strong. even the testers were surprised. just an option. my next choice would be the toyo mts. one of the quietest mts you can buy and they wear great too.

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
truxus mt won out in petersons 4wheeldrive mag as the best M/T available, but its probably loud

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
also with the bfg km2s. you will find out they become slicks quicker than some ats. just something ive witnessed with people running them.

OP
OP
Expeditionary

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
also with the bfg km2s. you will find out they become slicks quicker than some ats. just something ive witnessed with people running them.

yeah the bfgs are going down the list qiucker and quicker.... I have read and seen videos tho of the Pro comp xtreme mudders and Mud grapplers, between that and their price point I am leaning toward those