Mach Radio - tape player quit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric in Wyoming

Reaction score
Hi yall!

So I've put three OEM head units in my 97 Eddie Bauer, and every single one of them has had the tape player quit working. All it does is suck in the cassette and then won't eject it, just says "NO TAPE" on the display when I try to play it. Any ideas why?

I'm not above putting in an aftermarket head unit, but if I can I'd rather keep the factory Mach setup. Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction!

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi yall!

So I've put three OEM head units in my 97 Eddie Bauer, and every single one of them has had the tape player quit working. All it does is suck in the cassette and then won't eject it, just says "NO TAPE" on the display when I try to play it. Any ideas why?

I'm not above putting in an aftermarket head unit, but if I can I'd rather keep the factory Mach setup. Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction!

I remember helping someone with this a few years ago, I want to say there’s a rocker switch or something that senses when a tape is in the tray which can sometimes go bad.

But if you want to stay stock, you can always buy a replacement OEM head unit, many of which now come modded with an aux input, which could be handy..no more tape adapters.

The unit below has a 3.5mm jack added to the left side; throw a Bluetooth audio receiver on there, then either run a cable and hide it behind the trim panels or open up the unit and plug in directly behind the front bezel.

Grab a bluetooth adapter which turns on with power attached, wire the adapter up to a power source that’s ignition switched and you got auto connect bluetooth audio streaming on a factory head unit.

(Not sponsored, just googled)

https://www.jegs.com/i/A&A/010/63801169BT/10002/-1

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Sounds...3.5mm+bluetooth+adapter&qid=1622318565&sr=8-5

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eric in Wyoming

Eric in Wyoming

Reaction score
I like that radio! But I'm afraid it's for a '99-up, I think the wiring is different from our '97. I've had one of the older radios apart and I think I know where that rocker switch is, though - first chance I get I'll stick the multimeter to it and see what happens. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!