mainfolds bolts have broken

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
Silver back....I thought you were putting heads on the truck? If you are then heres my suggestion....if your gonna hang headers you wont need the manifolds...take a saws all and cut them in sections...what this will do is re-leave the tension on the remaining studs...thos manifolds expand and contract with heat...if you cut them this will take the tension off the bolts and sock the with penetrating oil and they should come out easier....if your not putting headers on you can pick up cheap brand new manifolds of e-bay....When I tackle mine as I have a bolt broke off on each side..im going with long tube headers...so Im cuttin those manifolds right out of there...

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
if you are not putting a super charger on it...your wasting your time with shorty headers..you will get no performance gains..in some cases you could loose performance....pacesetter makes a set of long tube headers and have the bung holes for the O2 sensors....

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
if you use long tube headers you won need manifolds...the header bolt right up in place of them...

spadesluck

Reaction score
My whole engine rebuild was started because of broken manifold studs. There is no room to get at them with the heads on the motor. So I just decided to tear it all down and rebuild it from the ground up. Pain in the ass, yes. Worth it in the long run, absolutley.

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
let me know how it goes, i have the same problem but its not that bad. I def need new manifold however. I live in milwakee wisconsin however so i cant help.

megawatt00

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Silver back....I thought you were putting heads on the truck? If you are then heres my suggestion....if your gonna hang headers you wont need the manifolds...take a saws all and cut them in sections...what this will do is re-leave the tension on the remaining studs...thos manifolds expand and contract with heat...if you cut them this will take the tension off the bolts and sock the with penetrating oil and they should come out easier....if your not putting headers on you can pick up cheap brand new manifolds of e-bay....When I tackle mine as I have a bolt broke off on each side..im going with long tube headers...so Im cuttin those manifolds right out of there...

This method works well. If you have the time and space you can remove your front fenders too that will give you plenty of room to work.

clok1966

Reaction score
I have a freind with an exhaust shop and he hates these trucks.. Mine had a bad bolt from the manifold to the pipe. he gives me a deal on exhuast work as he is a freind, saw my truck and looked like he was about to cry. he said he would do it.. but to expect big bucks even with a cut rate deal. Mine ended up being $300 and it took about 4 hours.. and i was there.. drill bits whre dying, tempres where rising.. I was to muffler man (chain?) they looked at it and i told um '1 broken stud" and was quoted $6-800 with possiblity of more. Small time 3rd shop quoted $200 and i mentioned other quotes and he recanted and said $65 an hour.. no solid quote.

Now take all that for what its worth.. I have drilled other exhuast bolts.. normally they are not to bad.. no fun, but not horrible.. I was in the buddies shop as they worked on it.. it was not fun or easy for them. Also keep in mind htis is exhast flange stud, not to cylinder head, which is much easier... cu the head off slide maniflod off and work from there. In the end a pair of new manifolds might have been cheaper and easier.. im not sure.