Manual starter switch question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coldcoffeecup

Reaction score
Hey all- I have a 2000 Ford expedition, 4.6L. I've recently had some starter issues with my vehicle. At this point I've diagnosed it as a control wire issue, somewhere between the ignition switch and starter itself. I don't have time to track down the issue immediately, so in the meantime I would like to temporarily install a switch between the battery and control post of the starter so I can manually start the vehicle.

Question: What power ratings are sufficient for a manual start switch such as I've described?

Thanks in advance.

sbar09

Reaction score
I thought the solenoid control wire was pretty small. Find out how big the wire is (close guess?), then find the fuse its on. Do the math and you have your rating youll need for a switch.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep in mind that you will be bypassing all safety features and will be able to start at anytime or gear position. Things could get real exciting if it was in gear.

f162mm

Reaction score
Never a good idea on newer vehicles, just fix correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sbar09

Reaction score
If he is just by passing the key, and running power to the solenoid, NOT the starter, then the all safety aside from the wheel lock out should be in place right?

f162mm

Reaction score
Yes, but be careful to clean surrounding area and make sure you have no tony fuel line leaks because the potential for sparking is great, and be aware, the amount of amperage through that line is dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All of the safety features are on the control side of the starter relay, so he would be bypassing all of them. The load side of the relay is a direct shot from the battery to the solenoid then to the starter.

sbar09

Reaction score
So it sounds like he should hook up the switch to the relay not the solenoid?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He should fix the problem and keep everything stock.

To answer your question, you would connect to the control circuit of the starter solenoid mounted on the firewall.

Last edited: