Memory Mirror - Bumps off the limit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Piggybacked in a post in the general section, but it's had no responses to either poster.

2018 Max Limited
When changing to a different memory setting, occasionally the outside mirror (usually the driver's side, but once or twice on the passenger side) will to all the way up & out, and bounce off the limit stop.
Have to either manually move the mirror with the adjust button, or select another memory setting, then back to the desired memory, to get it to stop & go to its proper place.

Is there a re-initialize function, or fix? Or do the mirrors possibly need to be replaced?

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Piggybacked in a post in the general section, but it's had no responses to either poster.

2018 Max Limited
When changing to a different memory setting, occasionally the outside mirror (usually the driver's side, but once or twice on the passenger side) will to all the way up & out, and bounce off the limit stop.
Have to either manually move the mirror with the adjust button, or select another memory setting, then back to the desired memory, to get it to stop & go to its proper place.

Is there a re-initialize function, or fix? Or do the mirrors possibly need to be replaced?
The mirrors might have gotten moved accidentally manually and not sensed that they got moved. I wouldn't know the fix though.

OP
OP
JAMADOR

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That makes sense, but going to memory 1, then back to 2 resolves it.
Doesn't happen every time

OP
OP
JAMADOR

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bumping this as it seems to be happening more often.
Is there a re-learn or reset process to zero the mirrors?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bumping this as it seems to be happening more often.
Is there a re-learn or reset process to zero the mirrors?

On my 2015 Expedition Limited, the reset process for the power, outside rear view mirrors is contained in the vehicle owner’s manual.

Tread85

Reaction score
If by "bumps off the limit" you mean the mirror gets stuck in a cycle of trying to move and makes an incessant clicking noise, it's a known issue on '18s (I recall some threads here on it). Dealer reprogrammed mine a few years ago and fixed the issue.

OP
OP
JAMADOR

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^ Yup, it goes all the way to the end of travel & bumps off the end.
Have my wife's setting as 1 & 3, so I just hit the other when/if it hits the end like that.
My Explorer does something similar but different where the passenger side mirror only goes about halfway to set the set point. Have to push the button 3-5 times to get the mirror all the way to it's setting.

Rezolution

Reaction score
There is a firmware update for the mirrors that fixes this. I had the issue with my 2019 expedition and it was resolved after the update. I have a friend that had the same issue with his mirrors on his 2019 navigator and the update solved his issues as well.