Mileage good! Now poor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

10sne1

Reaction score
2008 el, with 75,000 miles.
She had been at 14 and 18/20 MPG
Now 11 and 15/16 MPG
What gives? Running great! Love the ride and quiet, great SUV.
Your thoughts!

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
What maintenance has been done and when? Filters and such can have an effect on mileage, as can sensors that are on their way out. A dirty mass air sensor can also effect mileage.

Something else to think about. I have a friend who tracks his mileage religiously, he swears that certain brands of gas will drop his mileage by 3 or 4 mpgs.

OP
OP

10sne1

Reaction score
Nothing done, air filter very clean, thanks for any where to start.

OP
OP

10sne1

Reaction score
She uses the computer. I just asked her to calculate by hand to get true reading.

rayt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
maybe they add ethanol into your gas now hah, i know for sure i get craptastic mileage because of added ethanol.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
She uses the computer. I just asked her to calculate by hand to get true reading.

If it has only been the last tank or two, I would just wait and see if it goes back up. I also agree with TonyDiv though, I only buy gas from Holiday Stationstores (very common around here, but not sure about the rest of the country) because every company adds their own additives. BP gas makes my truck smell like eggs and drops me down to about 9 MPG's. Just a thought.

Those computer systems are notorious for false info, you might find that once calculating it by hand it will be higher than the computer is saying.