Mirror extensions for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

edmguy

Reaction score
Oh I know. They are similar to the slide on ones that I had on my Explorer and like I mentioned I tried them on the Expedition but I just wasn't convinced to buy them.

I think I will want them but I will see what the stock ones are like when I take off tomorrow.

briguy_78

Reaction score
Did you have problems using the mirrormirror or **** mirrors? I purchased these from a local shop and quickly tried putting them on and found that the bottom buckle didn't fasten securely to the mirror because of the turn signal lens on my 2003 Expy.

green monster

Reaction score
Try the prime products xlr rachet mirror.
website: http://www.prime-products.com/products.php?prodid=264

I've tried 4 or 5 different ones, this one is the best. Still not perfect, but better than the rubber strap. It uses a built in rachet with the rubber straps and holds them pretty securely. One note, don't buy the dual mirror which has the convex and regular lens in it. The lens vibrate within the unit. The single lens is the best.
Good luck.
BTW my Expy is an 03.....

jimmyv13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I towed my snowmobile trailer for the first time with my '07 and noticed I couldn't see past the trailer like I could with my F-150, they are simply too narrow. Has anyone found any new bolt on mirrors like the F150 mirrors that slide out to fit?

driverjohn2005

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They make mirrors that are a custom fit to the mirror. If I knew what year your Expedition was; that may help... ;)

For me; I use a set that can be used on any vehicle. Got them brand new last summer.

About the best pic I have of them:
005-12.jpg

jimmyv13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i pull a 5 place sled trailer with mine and dont see a need for towing mirrors...

That's because the older Expy's have better mirrors. I'm not certain if it's better mirror placement, bigger mirrors or whatever, but the mirrors on the newer Expy's are awful for towing an 8' wide trailer. I had no problems towing this same trailer with my '04 F-150...

gomer34

Reaction score
That's because the older Expy's have better mirrors. I'm not certain if it's better mirror placement, bigger mirrors or whatever, but the mirrors on the newer Expy's are awful for towing an 8' wide trailer. I had no problems towing this same trailer with my '04 F-150...

I agree that the mirrors on the new Expy's are terrible. I have to use the **** strap on extensions on my 09 to tow my 34' TT. They aren't the greatest things, but they suffice.

alaskan

Reaction score
Can i ask what year your expy is?
I have a 2003 xlt with a 23' travel trailer.
I tried the capi(?) universal mirrors, which have the single strap in the middle that ratchets but it kept requiring us to adjust the darn thing every few miles.. I took them back today.. I'm wondering if anyone else with an 03 expy with the side cladding near the bottom of the door has used or tried the mckesh mirrors? I don't mind getting these over the others out there if they work on my rig.. Anyone?

tri2spin

Reaction score
Contact Ford and let them know your idea. www.thefordstory.com. I posted an idea tor towing mirrors. The more people that agree with the post the better chances we have for future Expys with tow packages to come with tow mirrors. I have had little luck with my 2003. The universal fit mirrors are not the greatest. They come loose, they fly off when a truck blows by you, they suck. The McKesh mirrors looks aweful. When I contacted Ford the suggested I go to the web sight above and post an idea. It is a long process to register but hopefully worth it