Towing 6k food trailer with 2010 Expedition Eddie Bauer with tow package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ugotrey74

Reaction score
Good morning, have been looking into purchasing a 2010 Expedition Eddie Bauer with the tow package to tow our food trailer (6k with everything in it)

the only thing I don't see (and have been looking for confirmation) is the truck doesn't have the brake controller installed, but it looks like the 2010 only had the connection and I'll need to add an aftermarket controller. Also, I'm guessing with the tow package the tongue weight can be about 890lbs? Am I correct in that thinking? I have my propane tanks (2 40lb) and hopefully me generator (275lbs) on the tongue so hopefully this will work.

Price is right for the mileage and condition of the vehicle and for how much we'll be towing (under 100 miles a week). I've never owned a Ford before but I drove it for about 2 hours yesterday city and highway and it drove very smooth so I feel like it will work for what we need it for for a long time.

Thanks for your assistance!

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2010 with HD tow. There is already a plug for the brake controller. Buy a Prodigy brake controller your self, very easy.

Max tongue weight is only achieved with a Weight Dist Hitch set up, otherwise the non WDH tongue weight max is 600lbs. If it's a standard Expy, with HD package, the tow capacity is 9200 and the tongue weight is 920. If the Expy is a Max length with HD tow those numbers are slightly lower 8900 tow capacity, and 890 max tongue.

At 6k I suggest a Weight Dist Hitch. Equalizer is a good brand and easy to use.

OP
OP
U

ugotrey74

Reaction score
thanks! one more question. The body itself has some rust damage, but the chassis itself looks like it's ok. I did just get this picture so not sure how bad this rust is around the trailer hitch. thoughts? should i walk away?

Attachments

• CagIkZk8uDgCL7gcMXScM91wV6ZX7nlIQSPgeFrh6nhFczd2em3dYvsfMFlR7NCk-Wnf4jeTedYIb1Ynf3IQt_arNgwTBg...jpg
    CagIkZk8uDgCL7gcMXScM91wV6ZX7nlIQSPgeFrh6nhFczd2em3dYvsfMFlR7NCk-Wnf4jeTedYIb1Ynf3IQt_arNgwTBg...jpg
    157 KB · Views: 7

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hard to say from that image. I'd have a mechanic look at it.

terr5178

Reaction score
After every oil change put the used oil in a spray bottle like exterminators use and spray the bottom of your truck. That's the only way to keep a truck going in north east. Doesn't cost anything extra and puts waste oil to good use

OP
OP
U

ugotrey74

Reaction score
Ended up getting a 2014 EL with the heavy duty tow package. Similar mileage. Not much more money. No rust. Thanks for your help everyone!

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
The integrated Ford brake controller is every bit as good as my former Prodigy. Been towing the same 6000 pound camper with both 2007 (Prodigy) and 2017 (Ford OEM) Expeditions. The Ford controller spotted a burned out trailer tail light too.

-- Chuck

OP
OP
U

ugotrey74

Reaction score
thanks! this one has the installed brake controller so I think I shoujld be good. Appreciate it!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire