Mixing shocks on front (Bilstein) and rear (Monroe)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbed

Reaction score
wondering if anyone has (or can opine on) the effects of running an 08 EL Limited with Monroe Reflex shocks in the rear and Bilstein 4600s in the front...odd question, I know but had to install Monroes in back due to blunder of ordering and receiving the right Bilstein box with one being the incorrect one. Checked box labels and were fine but discovered wrong shock in box while completely apart at shop...only rear pair available were the Monroes. Had to install to drive home (and free up the bay after nearly a full day!)...

many thanks in advance!

Hawaiianbasshead

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sure it won't be as significant as running a pair of toasted shocks...

I ran bilstein fronts on my titan and rear piggyback sway aways biggest/only difference I felt was my add a leaf. Did it all at different times...

currently my expy is sitting and I daily drive my trailblazer with 4 blown shocks, a snapped sway bar link and probably a few other loose balljoints maybe even the steering intermediate shaft u joints lol with almost 1,000lbs of stereo/batteries in the cargo area lol

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
don't think you'll have any problems.
you're already prepared to deal with this at your next replacement interval, so you can be "same-same" all the way around.
my '97 has different front and rear also due to manufacturer's available replacements and the 4 corner load-leveling air suspension.

svfetter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should not have any real problems. But there will be a difference in ride front to back. Once you get used to it, probably won't notice it, but I doubt the Monroe will last very long. Monroe are OEM as well and are junk. I went thru 2 complete sets in less than 20K miles. All leaked badly. 1st set replaced under warranty. Second set started leaking after a few thousand miles and I had to foot the bill this time. Had the dealer put on the Bilsteins and what a difference. Truck rides like it should have from the factory. No more worries.