More head unit/navigation install questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ward

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am starting the process of installing an Alpine INE-S920HD into my 99 EB, but I have a few questions. I've installed plenty of aftermarket head units before, but never one with navigation/DVD features. I've already got the speaker and power wires soldered up to the adapter harness, but I'm confused about some of the other inputs:

- VSS wire - This is supposed to connect to the VSS signal, so the navigation system can more accurately gauge speed. My stock head unit has speed sensitive volume, so there should be some sort of speed signal going to it. Can I use this for the VSS input? Is this the same signal that would come from the speedometer input wire, or from the VSS itself?

- Reverse light +12V - This is for the rear camera. When in reverse, the HU will automatically switch to the rear camera input. Does anyone happen to know where I can find this wire under the dash? Also, does anyone have any tips on a good backup camera, and where to mount it?

Also, my truck has the secondary radio controls on the back of the center console, which will obviously be non-functional after this install. Is there a filler plate I can put in place of this?

Last edited:

jbanks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm wondering if you can find the backup lights at the trailer brake controller under the dash? Otherwise you might have to go to the neutral safety switch on the transmission? Or the taillights.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well when you run the back-up camera cable (unless you use wireless) just run an extra cable spliced into your reverse light along side it. I have mine wired on a switch so i can keep it on when ever I want and can flip back and forth, because I can't use my rear windows what so ever.

Reaction score
the vss wire is behind the radio. its in the secondary plug (the square plug) gray/black wire. pin 9.

what i did for the rear controls when i installed my pioneer radio was purchase a marine swim step controller. it fits the size pretty close...and it still allows radio volume and audio control from the back seat. i had it laying around after i changed to an alpine radio in my boat. decided to try it out and it fit pretty well.